Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold & Susan Vordos Harold & Susan Vordos is offline

Default Bend .130" thick 6061 T6 around 1" radius?

wrote in message
I want to make an adjustable cheek rest for a rifle stock.

I want to bend the 1" wide Aluminum around a 2" pipe for 180 degrees.

Do I need to anneal it?
Do I need to do it while it is hot?

Thanks in advance.

It is important that you know the grain direction. If you bend parallel to
the grain, it most likely will crack. You can usually determine the grain
direction by visual inspection.

If you anneal, it will be quite soft afterwards, and won't regain it's
formal hardness. If you choose to anneal, it would be wise to solution
anneal the item first, then it can be artificially aged once again to the T6
condition. I

would recommend against bending hot. It will work quite easily if
annealed, but can be rolled in the T6 condition if you have the means to do
so.

Harold