Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Naphtha, bad news, good news

As I've mentioned previously, naphtha is a great cleaner /
degreaser for metal. (Cut 50/50 with alcohol it is a great
flux cleaner as well.) I learned a couple days ago that it
does an excellent job of removing dried raw egg from
auto finishes. That cost me a pint of the precious
liquid.

The good news is that I was shopping at my local 'Lucky'
store (U.S. supermarket chain) this afternoon and spotted
the familiar red gallon can of Coleman camping fuel huddled
on the floor next to the car supplies. US $12.00

http://www.colemancanada.ca/images/e...el_coleman.jpg
http://zenstoves.net/MSDS/Coleman.htm

This store is less than 3 miles from home.
This is roughly equivalent to rediscovering an old wallet in
my side table with $200 in twenties hidden within.

That, combined with the gallon located for me by the remarkably
kind and helpful Ed Huntress should be enough for current
projects.

The stuff is no longer available in local hardware stores
or paint stores labeled 'naphtha' (as a paint dryer) so here is
your word to the wise. Stock up or be left out, bruddah.

--Winston