Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is this stuff?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:32:16 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I just did two days at our church's yard sale. 102 F. My daughter gave me
some of the neck coolers the bike patrol uses. I was underwhelmed. The
pellets in the neckband were 1/16 of the volume of the space they were to
fill. But after the first day, they swelled so much, it looked like a plump
sausage. I was surprised.

Um, Steve. Beforet use, you first soak the neckerchief in water for an
hour to prime it.

What is this stuff inside? It seemed to help a little when worn at the base
of the neck, but after swelling, it didn't retain a lot of water. I kept
three in rotation in a Zip-Lok bag with ice, wearing one, and when it no
longer felt cool, rotating it with a cool one.

Too bad she didn't explain how they work to you before you tried it.
(How does it feel, sawing with the chainsaw and then being surprised
by the noise it makes when you take it back to the dealer and they
fill it with gas and start if for you, hmm?

I must say, the best part was the dripping of the whole thing down my front
and back and the evaporative cooling from that, but the cool gel was good,
too.

Is there a site that explains the chemical/physics aspect of "this stuff"?

http://soldiersangels.org/uploads/CoolScarvesHowTo.pdf

--
Just getting back after a farkin' virus ate my computer.
I'm still without any email or usenet archives. sigh

Going through Stuff Gunner Asch[_6_] Metalworking 11 January 1st 11 03:17 AM
pen stuff Ross Hebeisen Woodturning 4 June 28th 10 03:35 AM
dbx/ hx pro stuff [email protected] Electronics Repair 6 June 16th 07 04:31 PM
FS in Alachua/Gainesville FL: huge volume shop stuff, tools supplieshardwares, other "guy stuff", 1, some, or all - PICKUP preferred dave Woodworking 0 January 30th 07 04:31 PM
What was that stuff? SteveB Metalworking 6 July 23rd 05 07:14 PM