Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal and Energy

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:30:04 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I was just looking at an old Sportman's Guide catalog before tossing it in
the trash. One item that caught my eye was a .223 adaptor to use a 209
primer to launch a .22 caliber air gun pellet. What kind of energy is that
going to develop? What kind of muzzle velocity will that generate? It
might be a nice way to practice pulling the trigger and get some short range
target practice with your bolt action .223, although I would be hesitant to
use it in an auto.

The thing though is they advertise it for pest control. Seems to me for
short range even a pump air gun would be far more economical. As a kid I
killed a lot of gophers for the bounty with my Daisy 880. Spring piston
guns are so mush more powerful, and now with the gas spring guns on the
market for a few years you don't have to worry about leaving them ready to
flip the safety and fire killing the spring.

Not even considering the PCP guns. How does this 209 primer propelled .22
pellet compare to a pellet fired out of a pellet gun?

A "CB Cap", a small cartridge using the primer for propellant; using a
29 gr. bullet has a MV of about 725 ft./sec. Probably similar to the
adapter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

wrote:
[...]

Somebody just needs to pull a bullet from a CB cap and put this to
rest.

I do know that Aquila makes two variations, one of which says "sans
poudre"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I don't think .22 pellets are anywhere near 29 grains. 11-13 comes to mind.

Somebody just needs to pull a bullet from a CB cap and put this to
rest.

I'll do that if I can find them. I still have a half box of CB shorts
around from my trap line days. At short range they would even punch the
skull of a badger.

I do know that Aquila makes two variations, one of which says "sans
poudre"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I shoot both the CB shorts and the sans poudre rounds. The CB shorts
do indeed have a little powder and will shoot safely in a rifle. The
sans poudre (no powder) rounds will not make it out of a rifle barrel
that isn't worn. My old pump Remington .22 is kind of shot out and the
sans poudre bullets make it out of the barrel. My Remington bolt
action hasn't had quite so many bullets pass through it and the
bullets from the sans poudre rounds don't quite make it out. The box
for the sans poudre rounds says that they should only be used in
pistols.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

A .22 caliber round ball, as supplied in the BB Cap, weighs around 18
grains. The small conical bullets in CB caps can run up to 29 grains or so.

The last ones I bought, which was back in 1975, had a bullet at the heavier
end of the scale and looked like a slightly shorter version of a .22 Short
bullet. Some of them, though, are like little straight-sided cones, and
lighter.

Here's an example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_CB

--
Ed Huntress

Somebody just needs to pull a bullet from a CB cap and put this to
rest.

I'll do that if I can find them. I still have a half box of CB shorts
around from my trap line days. At short range they would even punch the
skull of a badger.

I do know that Aquila makes two variations, one of which says "sans
poudre"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 08:42:25 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

A "CB Cap", a small cartridge using the primer for propellant; using a
29 gr. bullet has a MV of about 725 ft./sec. Probably similar to the
adapter.

I don't think .22 pellets are anywhere near 29 grains. 11-13 comes to mind.

You can buy heavy pointed ones that run pretty close to 29 grs....but
they are hard to find. French made as I recall. Most of the pointed
hunting pellets run from 14-18 grains

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

I have a sweet old Stevens bolt gun, tube mag with a 22" barrel.
It's very satisfying to pop tin cans from the backyard deck.
It's so quiet, all you hear is the click of the lockwork, then Thunk
as the bullet hits.
Work that smooth bolt, repeat.

Sure beats cranking that magnum springer barrel down each round.