Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The remote valve grabber

http://members.goldengate.net/dforem...e_knob_grabber

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

http://members.goldengate.net/dforem...e_knob_grabber

Very cool. As usual.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 00:13:10 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

http://members.goldengate.net/dforem...e_knob_grabber

Cool, but I still think a small access door would have been the easier
of the solutions. You'll need one if anything ever goes wrong, right?

--
Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects.
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 23:18:02 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 00:13:10 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:

http://members.goldengate.net/dforem...e_knob_grabber

Cool, but I still think a small access door would have been the easier
of the solutions. You'll need one if anything ever goes wrong, right?

In http://members.goldengate.net/dforeman/first_cabin_visit/
the enclosure looks like a tall square tower, apparently only
with a top cover and top access. (Don wrote, "climbing inside
that structure ... requires ladders both inside and out".)

There's a valve near ground level -- for which he added a (4"?)
PVC-pipe-plug hatch -- and a vertically-oriented valve higher up.
The PVC hatch and the valve_knob_grabber allow operation of both
valves.

I suspect that if something goes wrong with the well, a small
access door wouldn't give good enough access -- one might have
to take a side off the enclosure. The obvious thing to do,
instead of making a small access door now, is let the current
building rot, and then make a better enclosure with a big door.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman"
wrote in message

http://members.goldengate.net/dforem...e_knob_grabber

Perhaps it needs a hole to accomodate the nut that
holds
the handle on?
phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:
Perhaps it needs a hole to accomodate the nut that
holds the handle on?

Oh, nice catch! And a touch more for the valve shaft that might extend
through the nut.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:18:22 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:

[...]

By "small access door", I meant "man-sized, but not necessarily
36x84", eh? Keyword "door" vs "panel", I guess.

Now that I think of it, I'd install a ball valve, too.

Aren't we having fun rebuilding Foreman's pump house for him?
titter

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

http://members.goldengate.net/dforem...e_knob_grabber
*******************

Great idea! With a square hole in the center, it could snap onto a ratchet
for high valves that are horizontal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Foreman wrote:

[...]

Yah, what if we all showed up at the same time to
"help" ?
heh heh .... ;)}

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *--Herbert Spencer- Hide quoted text -

The wellhouse doesn't seem that big -- probably has a 2' x 2'
footprint. I think that I'd get a sawzall and cut it in half.in line
with the clapboards so that the seam wouldn't show. Then, with hinges
the top could swing over and you could get access to everything. I'll
bet that the top half isn't very heavy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:41:30 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Don Foreman"
wrote in message
.. .

http://members.goldengate.net/dforem...e_knob_grabber

Perhaps it needs a hole to accomodate the nut that
holds
the handle on?
phil

Done.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:34:59 -0400, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .

http://members.goldengate.net/dforem...e_knob_grabber

Great idea! With a square hole in the center, it could snap onto a ratchet
for high valves that are horizontal.

I'm disappointed at the fact that he didn't include a nut driver for
the retaining nut in the grabber/turner thingamabob,
knowwhatImeanVern?