Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The remote valve grabber

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:18:22 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 23:18:02 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 00:13:10 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:

http://members.goldengate.net/dforem...e_knob_grabber

Cool, but I still think a small access door would have been the easier
of the solutions. You'll need one if anything ever goes wrong, right?

In http://members.goldengate.net/dforeman/first_cabin_visit/
the enclosure looks like a tall square tower, apparently only
with a top cover and top access. (Don wrote, "climbing inside
that structure ... requires ladders both inside and out".)

There's a valve near ground level -- for which he added a (4"?)
PVC-pipe-plug hatch -- and a vertically-oriented valve higher up.
The PVC hatch and the valve_knob_grabber allow operation of both
valves.

I suspect that if something goes wrong with the well, a small
access door wouldn't give good enough access -- one might have
to take a side off the enclosure. The obvious thing to do,
instead of making a small access door now, is let the current
building rot, and then make a better enclosure with a big door.

By "small access door", I meant "man-sized, but not necessarily
36x84", eh? Keyword "door" vs "panel", I guess.

Now that I think of it, I'd install a ball valve, too.

Aren't we having fun rebuilding Foreman's pump house for him?
titter

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.