Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT (disposable) battery replacement schedule - partialy shop related

Greetings all

I am interested in finding out what others do with respect to changing
out disposable batteries (AAA thru D cell). In the past decade or so
I seem to have aquired a lot of battery powered (or battery back up)
devices - everything from a digital scale, numerous multimeters,
remotes, flashlights, clocks, freon tester .... In the past half year
I have found corroded batteries in a couple of devices that had not
been used for several months - in the digital non-contact tach the
corrosion was so severe that I had to fab and solder in a new spring
to serve as a battery terminal. I realize that I could remove
batteries after use but that might wear out the battery access cover
(I already have a few that are taped shut). On some infrequently
used devices I hang a tag on the outside with the latest battery check
date. On even less frequently used devices I remove the batteries. I
have thought of making a spreadsheet but this seems overkill and a
drain on precious shop time ( 'course washing out battery corrosion is
a drain on my time also) and I think that the spreadsheet would be
obsolete over time - my shop is miles from home and any battery checks
or updates done there might not get updated in the spreadsheet at
home.

So, how do you cope with batteries?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 4:07*pm, wrote:

I am interested in finding out what others do with respect to changing
out disposable batteries (AAA thru D cell).

So, how do you cope with batteries?

I keep fresh batteries in the closet. When things quit operating , I
check the battery voltage and install fresh batteries as needed. The
spent batteries go in a drawer and get taken to the recycling center
when I happen to think of it.

I try to not buy things that use batteries, especially those things
that are not used much.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

1. On installation I write the month and year on every battery.
2. Check all devices once a year.
3. Never mix new & used batteries.
4. Never use chinese batteries.
I've never had a problem with Duracell copper tops leaking
even 5 years after installation.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/3/2011 3:07 PM, wrote:
Greetings all

I am interested in finding out what others do with respect to changing
out disposable batteries (AAA thru D cell). In the past decade or so
I seem to have aquired a lot of battery powered (or battery back up)
devices - everything from a digital scale, numerous multimeters,
remotes, flashlights, clocks, freon tester ....

So, how do you cope with batteries?

The main use I have is bicycle lights.
For that, I just throw them out every 3-4 months and put new ones in.
They will still appear to work fine for 1-2 weeks after they start
leaking, so I can't use the light's brightness as any indicator.

I prefer alkalines if I can choose, as they usually aren't as
destructive as a leaky acid battery is. Acid leaks = eats holes in stuff
and corrodes metal. Alkaline makes a mess but usually doesn't ruin much.

For alkaline leaks, you remove the batteries and then dip the
electronic-whatever in vinegar for 60 secs or so, then rinse it with
distilled water and let it dry before using it again.

----

For acid leaks you use baking soda, but unless you heard the battery
sizzling, you will probably be too late to prevent acid damage. Plus
stuff like aluminum, the acid seems to soak into, and keep doing damage.
Mag-Lite flashlights anyone?

----

Lithium button-cell batteries I change once a year. Haven't ever had
problems with them leaking.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I try to buy Energizer, Rayovac, or Duracell. Change them
out once a year in the fall, if they need it or not.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I try to buy Energizer, Rayovac, or Duracell. Change them
out once a year in the fall, if they need it or not.

I don't know if you have Rite-Aid(r) in your area, but I once found
some store-brand alkalines for way cheaper than the copper-top ones
(admittedly, they were on special), and they outlasted the CT ones
by almost 50 percent!

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 22:13:29 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I try to buy Energizer, Rayovac, or Duracell. Change them
out once a year in the fall, if they need it or not.

Varta are very good also

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/4/2011 1:07 AM, Rich Grise wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I try to buy Energizer, Rayovac, or Duracell. Change them
out once a year in the fall, if they need it or not.

I don't know if you have Rite-Aid(r) in your area, but I once found
some store-brand alkalines for way cheaper than the copper-top ones
(admittedly, they were on special), and they outlasted the CT ones
by almost 50 percent!

Cheers!
Rich

A few years ago, a member of the HP200LX listserv did a test for
longevity of name brand alkaline AA batteries for use in that palmtop.
As a control, he also bought Walgreens brand AA batteries. He found the
service life of the Walgreens AA slightly better and overall they were
considerably cheaper when bought on the very frequent 2 for 1 sales.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 10:07*am, wrote:
[...]

Well if you use gmail you could use the google calendar to schedule
repeating battery check dates for individual devices. Do it once for
each device and the calendar can send you an email and/or text every
however many days you specify.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/3/2011 4:00 PM, Artemus wrote:
wrote in message
So, how do you cope with batteries?

1. On installation I write the month and year on every battery.
2. Check all devices once a year.
3. Never mix new& used batteries.
4. Never use chinese batteries.
I've never had a problem with Duracell copper tops leaking
even 5 years after installation.
Art

4) is not always as clear as you think. Most of the name-brands made and
sold in the US are also made in China as well. You often get this if you
buy a device that has batteries included--they mostly look like the
usual, but say made in China instead of made in USA. And they tend to
not last very long as well.

I can understand their reluctance to sending cargo containers of
batteries on what amounts to a round-trip, but I'd prefer they not
include the cheap ones at all.

Occasionally the big bargain packs sold at Costco or Sam's are imported
too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the tip. How did you life test? I'm guessing some
kind of device for a period of time, but I'm curious the
details.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rich Grise" wrote in message

I don't know if you have Rite-Aid(r) in your area, but I
once found
some store-brand alkalines for way cheaper than the
copper-top ones
(admittedly, they were on special), and they outlasted the
CT ones
by almost 50 percent!

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got discouraged with Riteaid when they refused me the
clearance price of their clearance items. Unless I register
all my purchases with their store card. I don't like being
registered and tracked, so I havn't been in a Riteaid since
that moment. Walgreens is retail, but seems to be good
stuff. I may try their batteries some time.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David R. Birch" wrote in message

A few years ago, a member of the HP200LX listserv did a test
for
longevity of name brand alkaline AA batteries for use in
that palmtop.
As a control, he also bought Walgreens brand AA batteries.
He found the
service life of the Walgreens AA slightly better and overall
they were
considerably cheaper when bought on the very frequent 2 for
1 sales.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Thanks for the tip. How did you life test? I'm guessing some
kind of device for a period of time, but I'm curious the
details.

At the time, I was using my flashlight a lot, and it was just a
sort of feeling, one day, I was noticing that they seemed to last
longer than the other ones, and they were cheaper anyway.

In other words, I didn't do a strictly controlled life test, they
just didn't go dead as sppn as the others.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the responses. I understand the desire to not have battery
powered devices - especially if they are not used far from a power
source. A number of my devices were auction purchase and I buy what
is available based on bid price and desire to have. I also have used
Walgreens batteries almost exclusively the past few years, buying them
when they offer a combination of a sale price + 2 for one.

Art: Since you mentioned Duracell - my 0-10 lb digital scale uses 2 D-
cells. I checked the batteries last weekend when I used the scale as
part of recharging my P/U A/C. The battery voltage was still at 1.48
and 1.51. I typically replace 1.5v batteries at about 1.35v. The
"expiration date" on them was 2004!

So far I have considered to replace all batteries yearly or some other
calender interval but I am frugal and do not want to discard a
significant quantity of value still left in most of the batteries -
some of these might last half a decade or more. I think that for very
infrequent use items (that are typically out of sight, that I'll
remove the batteries and that for most items I'll hang a tag or put a
lable on the outside of all battery powered devices to record the last
battery change. FOr stuff that is used fairly frequently, it is
sometimes obvious when batteries are low and other times not. The
setback thermostat in the house kept right on working while the
batteries began to leak (don't remember seeing a low batt indicator).