Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator only partialy cooling

Frigidaire Gallery about 6 yrs old (Model# FRS26ZGGW6)

Was working fine then seemed to stop cooling. Pull out and cleaned all
the lint etc. from coils and it seemed to get better but its not back to
full function. Won't make ice but if I put ice in the bin its cold
enough not to melt. On the food side it is just cool enough to keep
things from spoiling (so far).

Any tips much appreciated.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

What temperature do you have the thermostat set at? Set to coldest
setting for starters. Does the compressor cycle regularly? Too often?
Not very often?

Cycle the bail on the ice maker to get the thing to release cubes and
refill. This may take a couple of cycles, if it is air locked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

professorpaul wrote:
What temperature do you have the thermostat set at? Set to coldest
setting for starters.

Did that.

Does the compressor cycle regularly? Too often?
Not very often?

How can I tell? I can hear it running but haven't noticed it cycle.

Cycle the bail on the ice maker to get the thing to release cubes and
refill. This may take a couple of cycles, if it is air locked.

I've had my dances with the ice maker in the past (r&r dozens of times
for maker and water pump) and I *was* wondering about some sort of air
lock (I just changed the water filter when this happened) but I don't
know what you mean by "cycle the bail" exactly. How do I get it to cycle?

Posted to alt.home.repair

i had similar problem with fridgidaire.

turned out the auto-defrost relay (?) wasn't functioning. this caused ice
to form and wouldn't allow cold air to reach the refridgerator part-freezer
worked ok.

not sure if it was a relay-it was some kind of timer that allowed heaters to
cut on and melt ice for defrosting.

hope this helps.
"F. H." wrote in message
Frigidaire Gallery about 6 yrs old (Model# FRS26ZGGW6)

Was working fine then seemed to stop cooling. Pull out and cleaned all
the lint etc. from coils and it seemed to get better but its not back to
full function. Won't make ice but if I put ice in the bin its cold
enough not to melt. On the food side it is just cool enough to keep
things from spoiling (so far).

Any tips much appreciated.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"F. H." wrote in message
Frigidaire Gallery about 6 yrs old (Model# FRS26ZGGW6)

Was working fine then seemed to stop cooling. Pull out and cleaned all
the lint etc. from coils and it seemed to get better but its not back to
full function. Won't make ice but if I put ice in the bin its cold enough
not to melt. On the food side it is just cool enough to keep things from
spoiling (so far).

Any tips much appreciated.

Check the condenser fan. You probably already know where it is; most likely
you removed a wad of dust from it when you were cleaning the coils. It pulls
cool air in over the coils and then blows hot air out over the pan where the
defrosted water drips. If the fan stops working, the refrigerator will
still stay kind of cool, but it will have to work very hard and things won't
be as cold as they should be.

Another possibility is the self-defrost. If the defrost timer or defrost
thermostat fails, then it won't defrost properly and you'll get a big
buildup of ice on the coils and the cold air won't circulate properly.
You'll probably have to empty out the freezer and remove the back panel to
get at the coils. This is always a tough thing to do when your frozen food
is already close to thawing; you might want to buy some dry ice beforehand
so you don't lose all your frozen stuff.

If you have it all opened up and don't find a frost buildup, then, while
it's still open, turn it on and let it run for a few minutes. If you see
frost build up on only the first few inches of coil after the compressor,
then the compressor is probably bad.

These are the things I've learned from experience. In a few more years, I
may have others to add to the list.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The bail is the wire thing that, when lifted up by the ice in the ice
maker, stops making ice. If you lift it up until it clicks, then push
it down, that will cause the ice maker motor and valve assembly to
cycle.

Read the instructions about the filter. If it is full of air, and the
filtered water feeds the ice maker, then that is most likely the
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For some stupid reason, if you set both refrigerator knobs to coldest,
you get a cold freezer, and a warm refrigerator.

Now that you've undusted the coils, return the knobs to center of the
range, and see what happens.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"F. H." wrote in message
professorpaul wrote:
What temperature do you have the thermostat set at? Set to coldest
setting for starters.

Did that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:33:22 -0400, "Nick Danger"
wrote:

Any tips much appreciated.

Check the condenser fan. You probably already know where it is; most likely
you removed a wad of dust from it when you were cleaning the coils. It pulls
cool air in over the coils and then blows hot air out over the pan where the
defrosted water drips. If the fan stops working, the refrigerator will
still stay kind of cool, but it will have to work very hard and things won't
be as cold as they should be.

That was my problem. First it was a dead mouse. Three months later I
thought I had mice again, but it was a piece of insulation from the
fridge, stuck in the fan.