Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default R-22 heat pump WORKS!

Thanks all! It WAS the capacitor. I got one from Grainger for $22
(ouch!) and it did the trick. I did learn about how those caps have a
protection device that swells the top and rips lose the internal
connections. Cool! Now I'll wait for a warmer day to check the
charge. I was pleasantly surprised to find a boatload of paperwork
including charts, part lists and instructions when I opened up the
unit. I've been reading up on the unit and how to maximize efficiency
with the proper charge. Apparently it was a very good one in it's
day.

I also pulled the contactor and gave it a once over and dressed the
contacts slightly but they were in great shape. The contactor seems
to be another major failure point for this unit according to people on
the web. No moisture ever got into the electrical area and the rest
of the unit is sparkling clean. I hope I get a few more years out of
it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 6 May 2011 01:39:32 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w
wrote:

Thanks all! It WAS the capacitor.

snip

Thanks for closing the loop.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You da man! Let me know if you want the unit cleaned, and
charge checked.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tom Gardner" w@w wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, that's good manners. So many people never write back.
Much as the parable of Jesus healing 10 lepers, and only one
says thank you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"F. George McDuffee"
wrote in message
news On Fri, 6 May 2011 01:39:32 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w
wrote:

Thanks all! It WAS the capacitor.

snip

Thanks for closing the loop.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
You da man! Let me know if you want the unit cleaned, and
charge checked.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I'm amazed how clean it all is, the coils have like "fuzzy tinsel" on
them and they are sparkling. The inside is debris free and even the
fan blades are clean. In contrast, the units at work gets choked with
crap and needs acid every couple of years and a good pressure washing.
My next project is the water filter like the one Karl recommended.