Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default R-22 heat pump WORKS!

You da man! Let me know if you want the unit cleaned, and
charge checked.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tom Gardner" w@w wrote in message
Thanks all! It WAS the capacitor. I got one from Grainger
for $22
(ouch!) and it did the trick. I did learn about how those
caps have a
protection device that swells the top and rips lose the
internal
connections. Cool! Now I'll wait for a warmer day to check
the
charge. I was pleasantly surprised to find a boatload of
paperwork
including charts, part lists and instructions when I opened
up the
unit. I've been reading up on the unit and how to maximize
efficiency
with the proper charge. Apparently it was a very good one
in it's
day.

I also pulled the contactor and gave it a once over and
dressed the
contacts slightly but they were in great shape. The
contactor seems
to be another major failure point for this unit according to
people on
the web. No moisture ever got into the electrical area and
the rest
of the unit is sparkling clean. I hope I get a few more
years out of
it.