Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default seeking slip(ring)age

I was told this might be a good place to ask.

I'm looking for a slipring or commutator to go around the axle to my
wheelchair wheels. The catches are, it needs a 1" center hole (to go
around the axle nut), nothing can break if the wheel's removed (that's
easy, just push a button) and the body's put in a car trunk, and it only
has about 10mm clearance axially. On the plus side, it only needs to
carry a hundred mA, its radial clearance is something close to two feet,
and my maximum speed is around 75 RPM. Four conductors would be nice,
but I can live with two. Does such a thing exist for a reasonable amount
of money, perhaps in the model-making or robotics communities?

I have an idea about making one (per side) out of a CD-R, some
alternator brushes, and some sheet metal, if a pre-made one can't be
found. I figure I'll put the CD part on the wheel, to keep its angular
momentum down.

--
-eben P royalty.mine.nu:81
If you need someone to blame

Seeking "Split Ring" Compression Fitting Spanner Vortex5 UK diy 44 January 8th 10 10:41 AM
Adding sockets to ring main/add another ring Bill Payer[_2_] UK diy 33 October 20th 09 09:33 PM
Slip Rings steamer Metalworking 5 February 11th 09 05:32 PM
slip roll - isn't!! ?? Grant Erwin Metalworking 1 September 13th 07 01:30 AM
Non Slip Stickers John UK diy 1 January 8th 04 03:24 AM