Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tungsten-cobalt alloys extremely carcinogenic?

On Tue, 03 May 2011 17:26:10 -0500, Ignoramus18758

On 2011-05-03, wrote:
On May 3, 12:58?pm, Ignoramus18758

It says ``According to recent research,[28] at least some of the most
promising tungsten alloys that have been considered as replacement for
depleted uranium in penetrator ammunitions, such as tungsten-cobalt or
tungsten-nickel-cobalt alloys, also possess extreme carcinogenic
properties, which by far exceed those (confirmed or suspected) of
depleted uranium itself: 100% of rats implanted with a pellet of such
alloys developed lethal rhabdomyosarcoma within a few weeks. ''

This, obviously, concerns me, since the end mills that I often use are
made of tungsten/cobalt.

Are they carcinogenic?

Any comments?

Some of the high speed tool steel contains significant amounts of
Tungsten. T1, the original high speed steel, is 18% Tungsten. T15 is
one of the current super tool steels and it contains 12 % Tungsten.
And of course your TIG electrodes are almost pure Tungsten. So I
would consider washing your hands before eating. But I do have not
read anything on how toxic tool steels are.

I can see how a sliver of tool steel could get embedded in my body,
like a splinter, or I could inhale tingsten dust from tool or
electrode grinding.

You don't use thoriated tungstens, do you? Ernie Leimkuhler likes
lanthanated, so that's what I use. Thoriated are slightly
radioactive. Cobalt and chromium compounds can be bad actors. I've
never heard of tungsten itself being a problem. Nickel can cause
allergies, as can damn near anything else.

Personally, I'm not at all sure I'd prefer Alzheimer's to cancer.
Laying around as the living dead for 10 years doesn't appeal. My
preference would be to just keel over doing something I like. One of
Dad's old friends liked beer and playing cards, and during a card game
about midnight, went and laid down on the couch not feeling too good
and passed away. He was 92, I think. Dad's 91 and still plugging
along.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-03, Pete Keillor wrote:
Personally, I'm not at all sure I'd prefer Alzheimer's to cancer.
Laying around as the living dead for 10 years doesn't appeal. My
preference would be to just keel over doing something I like. One of
Dad's old friends liked beer and playing cards, and during a card game
about midnight, went and laid down on the couch not feeling too good
and passed away. He was 92, I think. Dad's 91 and still plugging
along.

Pete Keillor

That's a great way to die.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 3, 8:45*pm, Ignoramus18758 ignoramus18...@NOSPAM.
On 2011-05-03, Pete Keillor wrote:
.
...My
preference would be to just keel over doing something I like. *One of
Dad's old friends liked beer and playing cards, and during a card game
about midnight, went and laid down on the couch not feeling too good
and passed away. *He was 92, I think. *Dad's 91 and still plugging
along.

Pete Keillor

That's a great way to die.

I thought Russian chemist and composer Alexander Borodin went out the
right way, he dropped dead of a stroke during one of his frequent
house parties.

jsw