Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18758 Ignoramus18758 is offline

Default Tungsten-cobalt alloys extremely carcinogenic?

On 2011-05-03, wrote:
On May 3, 12:58?pm, Ignoramus18758

It says ``According to recent research,[28] at least some of the most
promising tungsten alloys that have been considered as replacement for
depleted uranium in penetrator ammunitions, such as tungsten-cobalt or
tungsten-nickel-cobalt alloys, also possess extreme carcinogenic
properties, which by far exceed those (confirmed or suspected) of
depleted uranium itself: 100% of rats implanted with a pellet of such
alloys developed lethal rhabdomyosarcoma within a few weeks. ''

This, obviously, concerns me, since the end mills that I often use are
made of tungsten/cobalt.

Are they carcinogenic?

Any comments?

Some of the high speed tool steel contains significant amounts of
Tungsten. T1, the original high speed steel, is 18% Tungsten. T15 is
one of the current super tool steels and it contains 12 % Tungsten.
And of course your TIG electrodes are almost pure Tungsten. So I
would consider washing your hands before eating. But I do have not
read anything on how toxic tool steels are.

I can see how a sliver of tool steel could get embedded in my body,
like a splinter, or I could inhale tingsten dust from tool or
electrode grinding.