Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding question.

I am doing some rebuild on my aluminum river jet boat. Going to weld closed
some old bolt holes in the gunnel and dash. What is a good backing plate to
prevent a big gob of aluminum slump on the backside, where I can not get the
grinder after I use the spool gun on the top. If I had a TIG outfit, might
be easier, but only a spool gun. 1/4" steel plate? Stainless plate?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Califbill wrote:
I am doing some rebuild on my aluminum river jet boat. Going to weld
closed some old bolt holes in the gunnel and dash. What is a good
backing plate to prevent a big gob of aluminum slump on the backside,
where I can not get the grinder after I use the spool gun on the top.
If I had a TIG outfit, might be easier, but only a spool gun. 1/4"
steel plate? Stainless plate?

Copper sheet

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

On Apr 22, 10:51 pm, "Califbill" wrote:
What is a good backing plate to
prevent a big gob of aluminum slump on the backside, where I can not get
the
grinder after I use the spool gun on the top. If I had a TIG outfit,
might
be easier, but only a spool gun. 1/4" steel plate? Stainless plate?

I like copper.

Dan

Reply:
I thought about that, but since this is 50xx aluminum for corrosion
protection, I was thinking that would add copper to the weld.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Califbill wrote:

wrote in message

On Apr 22, 10:51 pm, "Califbill" wrote:
What is a good backing plate to
prevent a big gob of aluminum slump on the backside, where I can not get
the
grinder after I use the spool gun on the top. If I had a TIG outfit,
might
be easier, but only a spool gun. 1/4" steel plate? Stainless plate?

I like copper.

Dan

Reply:
I thought about that, but since this is 50xx aluminum for corrosion
protection, I was thinking that would add copper to the weld.

I recall Ernie noting not to use copper to back aluminum for that
reason.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Apr 22, 10:51 pm, "Califbill" wrote:
What is a good backing plate to
prevent a big gob of aluminum slump on the backside, where I can not get
the
grinder after I use the spool gun on the top. If I had a TIG outfit,
might
be easier, but only a spool gun. 1/4" steel plate? Stainless plate?

I like copper.

Me too.

me too for stick & MIG

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Apr 22, 10:51*pm, "Califbill" wrote:
*What is a good backing plate to
prevent a big gob of aluminum slump on the backside, where I can not get the
grinder after I use the spool gun on the top. *If I had a TIG outfit, might
be easier, but only a spool gun. *1/4" steel plate? *Stainless plate?

I like copper.

Dan

Same here

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Califbill wrote:

wrote in message

On Apr 22, 10:51 pm, "Califbill"
wrote:
What is a good backing plate to
prevent a big gob of aluminum slump on the
backside, where I can not get
the
grinder after I use the spool gun on the top.
If I had a TIG outfit,
might
be easier, but only a spool gun. 1/4" steel
plate? Stainless plate?

I like copper.

Dan

Reply:
I thought about that, but since this is 50xx
aluminum for corrosion
protection, I was thinking that would add
copper to the weld.

I recall Ernie noting not to use copper to back
aluminum for that
reason.

Right. Use stainless to back up aluminum. Ceramic
works too.
Steel and copper are a no-no......
phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/22/2011 7:51 PM, Califbill wrote:
I am doing some rebuild on my aluminum river jet boat. Going to weld
closed some old bolt holes in the gunnel and dash. What is a good
backing plate to prevent a big gob of aluminum slump on the backside,
where I can not get the grinder after I use the spool gun on the top. If
I had a TIG outfit, might be easier, but only a spool gun. 1/4" steel
plate? Stainless plate?

I have always been told stainless steel plate. Ernie on the welding
group would give you the best advice probably. Even though those are
relatively small welds you are going to on them for a while to fill the
holes, or going on and off them. One trick I have used to help control
heat is to put sopping wet rags behind my backing plate. You aluminum
still have to be cleaned and brushed and cleaned to be sure of getting a
good weld.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:

I like bacon. G

Cannibal!!! ;-)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 12:00:48 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Friday, April 22, 2011 7:51:24 PM UTC-7, Califbill wrote:
I am doing some rebuild on my aluminum river jet boat. Going to weld closed
some old bolt holes in the gunnel and dash. What is a good backing plate

Copper contamination would be bad (it accelerates aluminum corrosion),
so I'd consider... ceramic. A brick, a coffee cup... something like that.

You don't melt the copper. All the aluminum welders I know use copper
backers when welding gaps in aluminum.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Califbill wrote:
I am doing some rebuild on my aluminum river
jet boat. Going to weld closed
some old bolt holes in the gunnel and dash.
What is a good backing plate

Copper contamination would be bad (it
accelerates aluminum corrosion),
so I'd consider... ceramic. A brick, a coffee
cup... something like that.

You don't melt the copper. All the aluminum
welders I know use copper
backers when welding gaps in aluminum.

Awl riight.... just dug out an old welding
reference book:

Welding Kaiser Aluminum second edition copyright
1978 page 19-3.

Carbon or stainless steel backup bars, contoured
to fit one surface
are recommended, especially in repair of thin
materials, or where
poor accessibility makes welding from both sides
impractical. Such
bars should have a groove of suitable dimensions
immediately under
the joint or opening to be welded.

And on the next page:

Copper is sometimes deposited in a weld bead from
copper backup bar where penetration is too great,
or from a
burnback from the contact tube in MIG welding. The
presence of copper may be deduced from the
presence of
cracking and may be confirmed by radiography.

So, for most work it may not matter much but for
work on marine
equipment this could be serious. I found this too
important to not
say anything about it. Be safe out there, eih?
phil k.

Welding question.... Nick UK diy 9 December 14th 08 06:32 PM
Arc welding question [email protected] Home Repair 37 December 7th 08 10:51 PM
Welding rod question E. Walter Le Roy Metalworking 7 December 29th 05 05:31 PM
TIG welding question Christopher Tidy Metalworking 17 November 14th 05 06:28 PM
mig welding question Gunner Metalworking 7 June 15th 04 05:18 AM