Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Making an abrasive wire saw?

I have some 1.5Kg breaking strain (as it stands) 0.08mm diameter tungsten
wire that would be ideal for passing through a .2mm gap and then a fairly
light action cutting job.
How to load the wire with grit/ source of abrasive grit?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 26, 9:32*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
I have some 1.5Kg breaking strain (as it stands) 0.08mm diameter tungsten
wire that would be ideal for passing through a .2mm gap and then a fairly
light action cutting job.
How to load the wire with grit/ source of abrasive grit?

My guess is that for an abrasive wire saw, a soft wire like brass
would work better. The grit would imbed in soft wire. Not so much in
tungsten.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Mar 26, 9:32 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
I have some 1.5Kg breaking strain (as it stands) 0.08mm diameter tungsten
wire that would be ideal for passing through a .2mm gap and then a fairly
light action cutting job.
How to load the wire with grit/ source of abrasive grit?

My guess is that for an abrasive wire saw, a soft wire like brass
would work better. The grit would imbed in soft wire. Not so much in
tungsten.

Dan

&&&&&

Sort of swings and roundabouts. Soft metal, low strength for the cutting but
if high strength wire will not take abrasive without spot welding or
similar, then no cutting at all.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 26, 11:02*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mar 26, 9:32 am, "N_Cook" wrote:

I have some 1.5Kg breaking strain (as it stands) 0.08mm diameter tungsten
wire that would be ideal for passing through a .2mm gap and then a fairly
light action cutting job.
How to load the wire with grit/ source of abrasive grit?

My guess is that for an abrasive wire saw, a soft wire like brass
would work better. *The grit would imbed in soft wire. *Not so much in
tungsten.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Dan

&&&&&

Sort of swings and roundabouts. Soft metal, low strength for the cutting but
if high strength wire will not take abrasive without spot welding or
similar, then no cutting at all.

If you are trying to cut a soft metal with this method and wire you
will abrade the wire instead. Could you use .15 mm dia. copper wire?

Wolfgang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 13:32:12 -0000, "N_Cook"
wrote:

I have some 1.5Kg breaking strain (as it stands) 0.08mm diameter tungsten
wire that would be ideal for passing through a .2mm gap and then a fairly
light action cutting job.
How to load the wire with grit/ source of abrasive grit?

Maybe dental polyester UV-cure resin + diamond dust?

Call these guys and ask your questions:

http://www.ancodiamond.com/grits.htm

http://www.deco-coat.com/uv.html

Google is your friend. Oops, try Google-UK for sourcing.

--
Make the best use of what is in your power,
and take the rest as it happens.