Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Thrust Calculations- Differential gears

OK folks, any Gear Gurus in the audience?

I'm trying to figure out what the outwards thrust would be on a set of
differential spider gears under the condition where the axles are
locked from rotating; or alternatively if it's easier to envision the
outward thrust on them if one axle & carrier are locked & the torque
is applied to the other axle, see diagram here-

http://www.tantel.ca/Images/The%20Sl...ff%20gears.gif

FWIW the exact model is a Dana 44.

Specifics- the spider gears have a tooth bevel of 48°, interior bevel
of 68°.

The side gears are 23 & 41 respectively.

Yes, I know those don't add up to 90°, Blame Dana. :/

For sake of argument I'll assume there's no friction between the gear
teeth.

Anyone able to give ma a pointer on how to figure this out?

Thanks-

H.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.tantel.ca/Images/The%20Sl..._N_Rear%20Axle...

FWIW the exact model is a Dana 44.

Specifics- the spider gears have a tooth bevel of 48 , interior bevel
of 68 .

The side gears are 23 & 41 respectively.

Yes, I know those don't add up to 90 , *Blame Dana. :/

For sake of argument I'll assume there's no friction between the gear
teeth.

Anyone able to give ma a pointer on how to figure this out?

Thanks-

H.

What is the pressure angle of the gears?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Haven't got a clue.

Is there some way I can measure it?

H.

thrust bearings mark Metalworking 12 January 17th 10 01:34 AM
Bearings and Thrust Problems... Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Metalworking 25 March 4th 09 05:51 PM
Swap? Atlas 10F change gears, need 618 gears Rex B Metalworking 6 February 15th 06 03:41 AM
Wooden gears to metal gears. Don Stauffer Metalworking 5 January 30th 06 09:53 PM
What's the thrust path in a jet engine? Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 34 March 17th 04 06:04 AM