Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Howard Eisenhauer[_2_] Howard Eisenhauer[_2_] is offline

Default Thrust Calculations- Differential gears

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 19:59:46 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Mar 21, 8:22*pm, Howard Eisenhauer
wrote:
OK folks, any Gear Gurus in the audience?

I'm trying to figure out what the outwards thrust would be on a set of
differential spider gears under the condition where the axles are
locked from rotating; or alternatively if it's easier to envision the
outward thrust on them if one axle & carrier are locked & the torque
is applied to the other axle, see diagram here-

http://www.tantel.ca/Images/The%20Sl..._N_Rear%20Axle...

FWIW the exact model is a Dana 44.

Specifics- the spider gears have a tooth bevel of 48 , interior bevel
of 68 .

The side gears are 23 & 41 respectively.

Yes, I know those don't add up to 90 , *Blame Dana. :/

For sake of argument I'll assume there's no friction between the gear
teeth.

Anyone able to give ma a pointer on how to figure this out?

Thanks-

H.

What is the pressure angle of the gears?

jsw

Haven't got a clue.

Is there some way I can measure it?

H.