Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone Use a Multiplaz?

Looks interesting but the web site is a little short on details.

http://www.multiplaz.com/

Laurie Forbes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 20:35:59 -0600, Laurie Forbes
wrote:

Looks interesting but the web site is a little short on details.

http://www.multiplaz.com/

Nope. Cool tool, Festering price.

--
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country
against his government." --Edward Abbey
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Looks interesting but the web site is a little short on details.

http://www.multiplaz.com/

Nope. Cool tool, Festering price.

Ditto. I hadn't heard of it. Claims seem a bit extravagent. Could be
true, but I smell a rat.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In ,
Laurie wrote:

Looks interesting but the web site is a little short on details.

http://www.multiplaz.com/

Typical information-free site for sure. Pretty, though.

The key is to use steam as the working fluid in what is essentially a
TIG torch. They claim steam or steam+alcohol to be almost as good as
argon, and a lot cheaper.

I was able to find the US patents, having gleaned the names of the
inventors from their awards:

6,156,994; 6,087,616; 5,719,370; and 5,609,777.

How very intriguing! Chem E's, a little help please?

Would it be more proper to say that the water+alcohol mixture
changes state from liquid to steam to hydrogen + oxygen gas
to plasma in the torch head, (rather than from liquid to steam)?

I suspect the alcohol just lowers the vapor pressure of the
mixture, yes?

...Though I admit the inventor curiously claims "Plasma Steam"
in 5,719,370 and 5,609,777.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/19/2011 10:36 AM, Winston wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In ,
Laurie wrote:

Looks interesting but the web site is a little short on details.

http://www.multiplaz.com/

Typical information-free site for sure. Pretty, though.

The key is to use steam as the working fluid in what is essentially a
TIG torch. They claim steam or steam+alcohol to be almost as good as
argon, and a lot cheaper.

I was able to find the US patents, having gleaned the names of the
inventors from their awards:

6,156,994; 6,087,616; 5,719,370; and 5,609,777.

How very intriguing! Chem E's, a little help please?

I'm a Chem Eng (retired) but not sure I can comment with any great
authority. However:

Would it be more proper to say that the water+alcohol mixture
changes state from liquid to steam to hydrogen + oxygen gas
to plasma in the torch head, (rather than from liquid to steam)?

I suspect that is what's happening. The plasma disassociates the water
into H2 & O2 which then recombine to deposit heat energy at the work
piece. This would be something similar to an "atomic" oxy-hydrogen
torch in which H2 gas is disassociated by a plasma into elemental
(atomic) H which then recombines in a similar fashion producing a higher
temperature than oxygen/hydrogen alone.

I suspect the alcohol just lowers the vapor pressure of the
mixture, yes?

Alcohol would reduce the vapour pressure but it's hard to say what role
it would actually play. Maybe it simply provides a source CO2 to act as
a shield or maybe it acts as a reducing agent to take up any stray O2
around the weld

Laurie Forbes

..Though I admit the inventor curiously claims "Plasma Steam"
in 5,719,370 and 5,609,777.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Laurie Forbes wrote:

(...)

I suspect that is what's happening. The plasma disassociates the water
into H2 & O2 which then recombine to deposit heat energy at the work
piece. This would be something similar to an "atomic" oxy-hydrogen torch
in which H2 gas is disassociated by a plasma into elemental (atomic) H
which then recombines in a similar fashion producing a higher
temperature than oxygen/hydrogen alone.

I suspect the alcohol just lowers the vapor pressure of the
mixture, yes?

Alcohol would reduce the vapour pressure but it's hard to say what role
it would actually play. Maybe it simply provides a source CO2 to act as
a shield or maybe it acts as a reducing agent to take up any stray O2
around the weld

Laurie Forbes

Interesting!

Thank you sir.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 10:12:11 -0700 (PDT), KD7HB
wrote:

Interesting. However, nothing much on the company itself. Finally tracked
down reference to being a Swedish company. Makes one wonder why the secrecy!

Swedish, eh? Saaaaaaay, aren't they the folks who gave Barry a
freakin' Nobel Peace Prize?

--
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country
against his government." --Edward Abbey
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/19/2011 11:36 AM, Winston wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In ,
Laurie wrote:

[...]

Maybe the alcohol consumes the water - e.g. if water - surround it -
make it
burnable or not inert. Something like the add to gasoline solution that
absorbs the water - and allows the engine to burn or pass it without
chilling the engine.

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
Looks interesting but the web site is a little short on details.

http://www.multiplaz.com/

Laurie Forbes

Interesting. There are a few videos on the web:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Multi...c&hl=en& aq=f

It looks precise and SLOW.