Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone Use a Multiplaz?

On 3/19/2011 11:36 AM, Winston wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In ,
Laurie wrote:

Looks interesting but the web site is a little short on details.

http://www.multiplaz.com/

Typical information-free site for sure. Pretty, though.

The key is to use steam as the working fluid in what is essentially a
TIG torch. They claim steam or steam+alcohol to be almost as good as
argon, and a lot cheaper.

I was able to find the US patents, having gleaned the names of the
inventors from their awards:

6,156,994; 6,087,616; 5,719,370; and 5,609,777.

How very intriguing! Chem E's, a little help please?

Would it be more proper to say that the water+alcohol mixture
changes state from liquid to steam to hydrogen + oxygen gas
to plasma in the torch head, (rather than from liquid to steam)?

I suspect the alcohol just lowers the vapor pressure of the
mixture, yes?

..Though I admit the inventor curiously claims "Plasma Steam"
in 5,719,370 and 5,609,777.

--Winston

Maybe the alcohol consumes the water - e.g. if water - surround it -
make it
burnable or not inert. Something like the add to gasoline solution that
absorbs the water - and allows the engine to burn or pass it without
chilling the engine.

Martin