Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Marquette Ore Docks and Hulett Oar Unloaders

Videos of loading and unloading some Great Lakes taconite boats.

it was shut down for the winter. The ice on Lake Superior would be
crystal clear and the water under a beautiful aqua marine color.
Pretty indescribably beautiful. Guess you'd have to be there to
appreciate it.
Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he9YcOpEwXg

Really great video of the unloading operations and the machines used.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5d5_1300242628

The Huletts were highly efficient materials handling machines unique
to the Great Lakes. Invented by Clevelander George H. Hulette
(1846-1923). The first was steam-powered with a 10-ton-capacity grab
bucket that went into service at Conneaut Ohio in 1899. It could
unload an ore boat at the rate of 275 tons an hour.

later Huletts were electrically powered. The various motions of the
170ton More..bucket were controlled by an operator riding in a small
cab in the vertical leg just above the bucket (5.50!) Each machine
could unload 1,000 tons an hour.

The Hulett's clear superiority over existing mechanical unloaders
revolutionized ore handling and led to its rapid adoption throughout
the lower-lake ore ports. Through 1960 more than 75 were built by
Cleveland's Wellman-Seaver-Morgan Co. and its predecessor and
successor firms. With the advent of self-unloading ore boats most
Huletts have been dismantled. 4 were preserved as heritage machines.

When you see the bucket-grab lower a large CAT into the ships hold
(7.08) it gives you an idea of the size of this monster!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

I'm not sure if the four Huletts are still in place in Cleveland, I can remember
watching them work as a kid. But I'm sure some people want the land for a new
Titty-Bar in the Flats. Never enough Titty-Bars!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 03:19:57 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

I'm not sure if the four Huletts are still in place in Cleveland, I can remember
watching them work as a kid. But I'm sure some people want the land for a new
Titty-Bar in the Flats. Never enough Titty-Bars!

Yes....it's all about having the proper priorities. Let's not have an
industrial base with a foundation built on steel making.....let's have
more bread, circuses, football, NASCAR, and titty bars.

Those were some GIANT machines.
Dave