Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stupid questions about parallels

On Mar 7, 12:57*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Mar 7, 2:31 pm, "Bob La *wrote:
When you set something in your vise with parallels do you slide them out
before beginning work, or do you press down firmly enough on your work
pieces that they won't move easily as the machine accelerates and
decelerates?

I have an older Wilton vise that doesn't force the moving jaw downward
like a Kurt, so I tap the work down with a soft hammer as I tighten
the handle, then make sure the parallels aren't loose.

Same here. *Tap with soft hammer. *Leave them
in place.

A lead and rawhide-faced mallet used to be standard issue.

Stan