Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My new (to me anyway) Maximat7 Mentor Mill

There I go assuming, again. I assumed the motor was 3-phase.

If single phase, you need a capacitor to connect between the brown wire and the black wire. The brown wire and the blue wire are then connected to the 230 VAC mains. Yellow-green to ground.

I can't tell you the capacitor value for 230 VAC. If you ask, I can pull the cover from the back of my lathe and tell you the value for running a 120 VAC motor.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-27, KD7HB wrote:
There I go assuming, again. I assumed the motor was 3-phase.

If single phase, you need a capacitor to connect between the brown
wire and the black wire. The brown wire and the blue wire are then
connected to the 230 VAC mains. Yellow-green to ground.

O.K. I can never remember the UK wire colors -- other than the
yellow-green for safety ground.

I can't tell you the capacitor value for 230 VAC. If you ask, I can
pull the cover from the back of my lathe and tell you the value for
running a 120 VAC motor.

Probably he needs half the value for 230 VAC from the 120 VAC
value.

And -- it should be a somewhat different value for 60 Hz vs 50
Hz, though it probably will be close enough to work.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564