Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default regrind mill table

My CNC mill is gettin' tired. It's got 11 thou backlash in X which is
a ton on a CNC machine. I've only lived with it for 15 years. Now, I
need parts it just isn't going to make.

Anyway, I bought an identical mill for parts a while back. I spent
yesterday tearing it down. The table on this mill may be just slightly
better. X Ball screw didn't look at all good though. I'll spend today
taking the Y axis apart. Knee in a couple days. Then I'll do the same
on the shop mill and pick out the best parts.

Anyway, does somebody know a vendor to send the table and saddle out
for regrind? Same question to refurbish the ball screws? Preferably
kind of near the Twin Cities. I'm hoping this isn't a break the bank
cost job.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I surfed the web looking for advice and came across this collection
from Teenut. Rest in piece, Robert.

http://yarchive.net/metal/lathe_bed_regrind.html

His best quote:
"Machinists wash their hands BEFORE using the bathroom"

Karl - still looking for a regind outfit
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 19:11:08 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I surfed the web looking for advice and came across this collection
from Teenut. Rest in piece, Robert.

http://yarchive.net/metal/lathe_bed_regrind.html

His best quote:
"Machinists wash their hands BEFORE using the bathroom"

Karl - still looking for a regind outfit

Hey Karl,

I take it that you want someplace near you. If that changes, post
again.

Brian Lawson.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I surfed the web looking for advice and came across this collection
from Teenut. Rest in piece, Robert.

http://yarchive.net/metal/lathe_bed_regrind.html

His best quote:
"Machinists wash their hands BEFORE using the bathroom"

When I was in the USAF, they used to tell this one:

A marine and an airman are in the airport bathroom peeing. They finish, the
marine heads for the sink and the airman heads for the door.

The marine says, "Hey, flyboy! Don't they teach you to wash your hands
after you ****?"

The airman says, "Nah, in the Air Force they teach us not to **** on our
hands."

;-)

Actually, something like that happened once when my family was seeing me
off at the airport. Dad and I both peed in the same bathroom, and Dad
headed for the door. I asked "Don't you wash your hands?" My Dad said,
"What I was just holding onto wasn't dirty."

Cheers
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I surfed the web looking for advice and came across this collection
from Teenut. Rest in piece, Robert.

http://yarchive.net/metal/lathe_bed_regrind.html

His best quote:
"Machinists wash their hands BEFORE using the bathroom"

Karl - still looking for a regind outfit

Hey Karl,

I take it that you want someplace near you. If that changes, post
again.

Brian Lawson.

I'd best post again now. Not finding this service. Maybe these folks
don't do internet. Or i don't know right search words.

lots of places do ball screw rebuild.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I surfed the web looking for advice and came across this collection
from Teenut. Rest in piece, Robert.

http://yarchive.net/metal/lathe_bed_regrind.html

His best quote:
"Machinists wash their hands BEFORE using the bathroom"

Karl - still looking for a regind outfit

Hey Karl,

I take it that you want someplace near you. If that changes, post
again.

Brian Lawson.

I'd best post again now. Not finding this service. Maybe these folks
don't do internet. Or i don't know right search words.

lots of places do ball screw rebuild.

Karl

I assume "regrind mill table" means regrind the table ways? One of my
customers uses this outfit for regrinding hardened way inserts, and
I've had similar parts up to about 12 feet long ground there. I'm not
sure if they do machine beds and tables, but if not, they're sure to
know who does.
http://www.detroitedge.com/ways_rails.php

A lot farther from you, but I know these folks do way grinding. I was
at the auction where they bought their biggest way grinder and I
worked on the moly plates that are near the top of this page.
http://www.mi4.us/grinding.html

Of the two, I'd rather use Detroit Edge if they can do your job.

--
Ned Simmons