Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default End mills break when making a dog clutch

Ignoramus562 wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Mon, 21 Feb 2011 07:58:14 -0600:

I think that is too small of a chip load. Increase your feed, or
decrease your RPM. I would aim for .002 per tooth.

.002load * 4flutes = .008/rev. * 2000rpm = 16ipm

I would also slow down(feed) on inside corners, where extra load is
encountered.

Seems pretty high for a puny 1/8" end mill.
I now also suspect that the unknown steel bar was not 1018.

Yah, 16ipm sounds fast to me too, but that's what the numbers work out
to. Could you try increasing the feed a little, and see if it helps
or hurts?
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-22, Ignoramus562 wrote:

[ ... ]

A little update: I am now using a 12L14 bar that is exactly the right
diameter. I drilled a hole in the middle with a drill bit and am
machining the teeth right now. I found a couple of bugs in the code,
that I fixed, and so far, it is running OK.

A bug like a rapid move through metal which had not yet been
removed? I got bit by that fairly early on -- a 1/2" sold carbide
cutter (well -- the bottom half of it) bouncing around the room made me
dance a bit. :-)

If the teeth do not exactly mate, I can file them down with a regular
file. I will see how it goes, I have a little extra of this 12L14 bar
stock.

Is this your first machining of 12L14? Isn't it lovely?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-22, Ignoramus562 wrote:

[ ... ]

A little update: I am now using a 12L14 bar that is exactly the right
diameter. I drilled a hole in the middle with a drill bit and am
machining the teeth right now. I found a couple of bugs in the code,
that I fixed, and so far, it is running OK.

A bug like a rapid move through metal which had not yet been
removed? I got bit by that fairly early on -- a 1/2" sold carbide
cutter (well -- the bottom half of it) bouncing around the room made me
dance a bit. :-)

Exactly.

If the teeth do not exactly mate, I can file them down with a regular
file. I will see how it goes, I have a little extra of this 12L14 bar
stock.

Is this your first machining of 12L14? Isn't it lovely?

Yes, I wonder why it is not available as rectangular bar stock.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:51:17 -0600, Ignoramus19981

On 2011-02-22, Ignoramus562 wrote:

[ ... ]

A little update: I am now using a 12L14 bar that is exactly the right
diameter. I drilled a hole in the middle with a drill bit and am
machining the teeth right now. I found a couple of bugs in the code,
that I fixed, and so far, it is running OK.

A bug like a rapid move through metal which had not yet been
removed? I got bit by that fairly early on -- a 1/2" sold carbide
cutter (well -- the bottom half of it) bouncing around the room made me
dance a bit. :-)

Exactly.

If the teeth do not exactly mate, I can file them down with a regular
file. I will see how it goes, I have a little extra of this 12L14 bar
stock.

Is this your first machining of 12L14? Isn't it lovely?

Yes, I wonder why it is not available as rectangular bar stock.

its available. years ago, all the parts in my machine shop class were
made with 12L14. When i started making my own stuff out of mystery
metal, i broke a lost of tooling.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 22, 9:51*pm, Ignoramus19981 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.

On 2011-02-22, Ignoramus562 wrote:

* *[ ... ]

A little update: I am now using a 12L14 bar that is exactly the right
diameter. I drilled a hole in the middle with a drill bit and am
machining the teeth right now. I found a couple of bugs in the code,
that I fixed, and so far, it is running OK.

* *A bug like a rapid move through metal which had not yet been
removed? *I got bit by that fairly early on -- a 1/2" sold carbide
cutter (well -- the bottom half of it) bouncing around the room made me
dance a bit. :-)

Exactly.

If the teeth do not exactly mate, I can file them down with a regular
file. I will see how it goes, I have a little extra of this 12L14 bar
stock.

* *Is this your first machining of 12L14? *Isn't it lovely?

Yes, I wonder why it is not available as rectangular bar stock.

Take the dog clutch you have been trying to match up to, and pull it
straight out!
Set it someplace where it will never be in your way again, and forget
making a dog clutch to match it.

The dog clutch has a sleeve with a key way in it. This mates with the
shaft to the bevel gear.
Make your coupler with a key way in it to match the shaft, and FORGET
the dog clutches.

Much, much simpler, and less of a chain of
backlash.

So sorry I forgot to mention this before, it didn't click with me..
I once faced and solved the same problem, trying to figure out how to
mate up with the dog clutch, then I simply pulled it out, and made a
sleeve to replace it.