Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Type of steel in large auger

I asked this in the welding group, but received zero answers.

We have a 2' diameter earth auger that is over 7' long, about half
of the length is auger flighting and the other half is shaft. It
is a left over from a utility pole digging truck that no longer
runs. We have a skid steer with an auger head. I would like to
shorten the shaft portion of the auger to make it usable with the
skid steer.

There is no point in destroying the existing auger if this
modification is not likely to succeed. The hex socket, flighting,
and rock teeth are in good condition. We are trying to decide
whether to spend the time and money to use the one we own or just
buck up and get one made for the skid steer.

Is the shaft made of anything exotic? What would be the best rod
to use? I can probably add an external sleeve with through bolts
which would be a bit like shear pins, but again, what size, etc?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 16:52:23 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

[...]

My son spent two years building these. From his memory the material
was called grade 50 or ASTM 512 but he's not positive. He'll look it
up at work tomorrow and get back to me. I'll forward your query to him
for the other questions. No doubt this can be done, you just need the
best advice.

Karl

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:31:40 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

[...]

I looked online for ASTM A512:
Its a grade of 1018, easy to work with. most any common method will do
http://www.metalsuppliersonline.com/...metals/816.asp
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl, thank you so much for the information. I just didn't want
to destroy something for not asking.

--