Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Weld filler chemical composition

Of inconel and hastelloy, which would be closer to plain ol' ordinary
nichrome, like you'd use in a heating element?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:37:27 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Of inconel and hastelloy, which would be closer to plain ol' ordinary
nichrome, like you'd use in a heating element?

All three are families of alloys that cover lots of territory. If you
pick a specific nichrome alloy you do a composition search on Matweb
to find the closest match.
http://www.matweb.com/search/CompositionSearch.aspx

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:37:27 -0800, Rich Grise

Of inconel and hastelloy, which would be closer to plain ol' ordinary
nichrome, like you'd use in a heating element?

All three are families of alloys that cover lots of territory. If you
pick a specific nichrome alloy you do a composition search on Matweb
to find the closest match.
http://www.matweb.com/search/CompositionSearch.aspx

Thanks! I have numbers here that I can look up. Probably should have,
but that isn't anywhere near as much fun as asking real live people. :-)

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Ned Simmons wrote:
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:37:27 -0800, Rich Grise

Of inconel and hastelloy, which would be closer to plain ol' ordinary
nichrome, like you'd use in a heating element?

All three are families of alloys that cover lots of territory. If you
pick a specific nichrome alloy you do a composition search on Matweb
to find the closest match.
http://www.matweb.com/search/CompositionSearch.aspx

Thanks! I have numbers here that I can look up. Probably should have,
but that isn't anywhere near as much fun as asking real live people. :-)

Speaking of looking stuff up, I looked up "resistivity of nichrome" or some
such, and this website came up; is this guy an idiot or what? I'm only an
electronic tech, but I've never seen such bull**** presented as fact:
(well, I have, but that's an entirely different thread. ;-) )

----------quote--------
Resistivity is a measure of how strongly a material opposes the flow of
electric current. Good electrical conductors have very low resistivities
and good insulators have very high resistivities. Resistivity is denoted by
the Greek symbol rho (?) and can be determined by rearranging this formula:

R = ?l / A

where ? is called the resistivity of the material, R is the resistance, l is
the length and A represents a cross-sectional area. The unit of resistivity
is then ohm-meters (?m).

Nichrome, a non-magnetic alloy that is commonly made up of 80% nickel and
20% chromium, has a resistivity ranging from 1.10 × 10-6 ?m to 1.50 × 10-6
?m (0.00000110 ?m to 0.00000150 ?m) and a very high boiling point
(~1400 °C). With such a low resistivity and high boiling point, this makes
nichrome a very good conductor of electricity and ideal material for making
wires and other insulation devices.

Nichrome is commonly wound up into coils and used in heating elements
(devices that convert heat into electricity through Joule heating) such as
hair dryers, toasters and ovens. However, nichrome wires are not used as
much as copper wires (resistivity = 1.7 × 10-8 ?m) due to the high cost of
chromium.

Harvey Kwan -- 2007
----------/quote--------
--- http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2007/HarveyKwan.shtml

"boiling point?"
"wires and other insulation devices?"

Doesn't this kind of impugn the credibility of his numbers? (1 ~ 1.5
ohm-meter)

I also looked up inconel 625, which is listed as approx. 130 microhm-cm;
If I get my units right, aren't they pretty much within like 20% of each
other?

And inco 625 almost _is_ nichrome except for some non-neglible amount of
molybdenum, which probably helps with high. temp tolerance, if I'm guessing
in the right ballpark.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 13:13:29 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

And inco 625 almost _is_ nichrome except for some non-neglible amount of
molybdenum, which probably helps with high. temp tolerance, if I'm guessing
in the right ballpark.

My SWAG is the moly improves yield strength at high temperature. Moly
itself is an excellent material for heating elements in reducing
atmospheres up to at least 2600F, but it oxidizes badly in air at
relatively low temps.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:
Ned Simmons wrote:
[...]

You can use just about anything as a heater wire, so long as it doesn't
degrade too fast for the intended use.

You seem to want to use Inco 625. It may work. Just try it.

However, nichrome was invented precisely as a heater wire, which means
that it won't oxidize away too fast even at a orange heat in air. If
you won't be running that hot, other alloys may be OK.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:
Ned Simmons wrote:
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:37:27 -0800, Rich Grise

Of inconel and hastelloy, which would be closer to plain ol' ordinary
nichrome, like you'd use in a heating element?

All three are families of alloys that cover lots of territory. If you
pick a specific nichrome alloy you do a composition search on Matweb
to find the closest match.
http://www.matweb.com/search/CompositionSearch.aspx

Thanks! I have numbers here that I can look up. Probably should have,
but that isn't anywhere near as much fun as asking real live people.
:-)

[...]

Well, I do have the ability to use it - I can grab a filler rod from the
bin, and ohm it out and use a suicide cord, a fuse, and see how it fares.

What I have in mind is slapping together an impromptu toaster - the toaster
oven here doesn't make proper toast - it makes an uncut giant crouton. ;-)

Speaking of that, what kind of temperature tolerance does ordinary plaster
have? Could it hold a red-hot heating element without falling apart? Is
that what you'd call "bisque?"

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:
Ned Simmons wrote:
[...]

Filler rod sounds a bit too thick, probably acts like a short if put
across the 110 Volt line.

What I have in mind is slapping together an impromptu toaster - the toaster
oven here doesn't make proper toast - it makes an uncut giant crouton. ;-)

There are better toasters.

Speaking of that, what kind of temperature tolerance does ordinary plaster
have? Could it hold a red-hot heating element without falling apart? Is
that what you'd call "bisque?"

Plaster is hopeless for anything orange hot. Foam brick as used in
kilns would be a better choice. One source is Sheffield Pottery:

http://www.sheffield-pottery.com/

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:
Ned Simmons wrote:
[...]

Yabbut, I'm terribly broke and have better things to spend twenty bucks
on.

Speaking of that, what kind of temperature tolerance does ordinary
plaster have? Could it hold a red-hot heating element without falling
apart? Is that what you'd call "bisque?"

Plaster is hopeless for anything orange hot. Foam brick as used in
kilns would be a better choice. One source is Sheffield Pottery:

http://www.sheffield-pottery.com/

Ah! We've got a Michaels just up the street - I should check there.

Hmm - just went out into the shop and grabbed a 3' rod of .030 inco
625 and it ohmed out at 2.5. Sigh. ;-)

Tnanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 22, 10:29*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Plaster is hopeless for anything orange hot. *Foam brick as used in
kilns would be a better choice. *One source is Sheffield Pottery:

http://www.sheffield-pottery.com/

Joe Gwinn

Another good source on the other coast is " Seattle Pottery ".

For heating elements think Kanthal. It will work at higher
temperatures than Nichrome but does have to be in a oxidizing
atmosphere. It is an Iron and aluminum alloy.

Dan