Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default welding 303SS

So I gave it a try today and it worked out better than I had hoped.

And I got some pics.
Full directory: http://www.gis.net/~riderdan/pics/weld303/

my welding cart:
http://www.gis.net/~riderdan/pics/weld303/Img_2704.jpg
I posted this on SJW, and thought some here would like to see it too.

///////////

I grabbed some bad parts from the scrap bin and a piece of 308 filler
rod. First, three parts that have a hexagon profile, three welds
holding them together. Welds were polished with a red scotchbright
wheel.
http://www.gis.net/~riderdan/pics/weld303/Img_2705.jpg
http://www.gis.net/~riderdan/pics/weld303/Img_2706.jpg
http://www.gis.net/~riderdan/pics/weld303/Img_2708.jpg

Then one of the hex parts and another part:
http://www.gis.net/~riderdan/pics/weld303/Img_2709.jpg

Then I tried some fillet welds on crossed pieces:
http://www.gis.net/~riderdan/pics/weld303/Img_2710.jpg
http://www.gis.net/~riderdan/pics/weld303/Img_2711.jpg

Some similar parts and did a butt weld without filler:
http://www.gis.net/~riderdan/pics/weld303/Img_2701.jpg (sorry about
the over exposure)
Better pic:
http://www.gis.net/~riderdan/pics/weld303/Img_2703.jpg

Then I took some larger pieces and ran a butt weld:
http://www.gis.net/~riderdan/pics/weld303/Img_2712.jpg
other side:
http://www.gis.net/~riderdan/pics/weld303/Img_2713.jpg
Sorry about the size on this last one, don't know how that happened.

I had put my camera away, and then thought to use the larger chunks to
make a fillet weld and see how it busts with a hammer.

It broke through the bead, and showed incomplete penetration at the
root, as expected.

When making the welds, I was sort of brazing with the filler, trying
not to dilute the puddle with base metal.

Not for anything structural for sure. But for "Objets d'art", works
just fine.

//////////
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 19, 3:10*pm, (dan) wrote:
So I gave it a try today and it worked out better than I had hoped.

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Glad it works well enough. Welds without any filler added will fail
easier. The filler should have higher Nickel and Chrome than the
parent metal to compensate for carbides being formed. Low carbon in
the filler will also help. But 308 is probably adequate.

Dan C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dan wrote:
[...]

303 stainless is not recommended to be welded because of the high sulfur
contont but it doesn;'t mean it is immpossible.

John

Fun with welding Andrew Gabriel UK diy 0 August 28th 10 05:11 PM
Mig welding stryped Metalworking 4 April 29th 08 07:26 AM
need welding done!! [email protected] Metalworking 3 December 13th 05 05:42 AM
Need a little welding ... diyguy Metalworking 1 November 21st 05 05:10 AM
Welding Aluminum (WAS: Welding Magnesium) tony Metalworking 5 November 7th 03 01:21 AM