Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default torque specs.

putting a tractor back together.

can't find torque specs for flywheel and clutch on this antique ford.

I've got 7/16 NF and 5/16 NC bolts. How tight?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 02/17/2011 07:41 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
putting a tractor back together.

can't find torque specs for flywheel and clutch on this antique ford.

I've got 7/16 NF and 5/16 NC bolts. How tight?

Tighten until things deform, then back off by 1/2 a turn.

How antique? The 39-48 Fords used (essentially) model A engines -- with
some digging you may be able to find the torque specs for that.

As of a couple of years ago, one of the fellows that works in the
service department of our local feed store was an old Ford tractor nut.
If he's still there, call Fischer's Mill Supply at (503) 631-3411 and
ask for Will in service. http://www.fischermillsupply.com/. Even if
Will's not there, I think you'll get sympathy from a company that
dedicates a good part of their tractor shed to a 12-foot tall, 18-HP
steam-powered monster that they keep in shape for antique tractor shows...

(When I called, Will in Parts answered the phone, transferred me to
Bill, who runs service, who got Will, to talk to me about my dad's 41
Ford-Ferguson. So ask for Will _in service_).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 07:54:55 -0800, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

Milady found general specs. vs. bolt size. I'm going with 65 and 20
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:41:51 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

putting a tractor back together.

can't find torque specs for flywheel and clutch on this antique ford.

I've got 7/16 NF and 5/16 NC bolts. How tight?

Karl

Look up the torque for the bolts you are using. See
http://www.raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc14.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

the only things i use a torqu wrench on are conrod bolts, main caps and
cylinder heads...

just tighten them up fairly hard.

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
putting a tractor back together.

can't find torque specs for flywheel and clutch on this antique ford.

I've got 7/16 NF and 5/16 NC bolts. How tight?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "no one" wrote:
the only things i use a torqu wrench on are conrod bolts, main caps and
cylinder heads...

IOW, you *don't* use one on brake or suspension components? Not wise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 18, 7:17*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "no one" wrote:
the only things i use a torqu wrench on *are conrod *bolts, main caps and
cylinder heads...

IOW, you *don't* use one on brake or suspension components? Not wise.

Anything that just doesn't need to come loose by itself (as opposed to
needing a specific clamping force or an even clamping force across
multiple bolts) just need to be tight enough.

Telling what fasteners are doing which type of job is of course one
way to get into trouble with that philosophy.

Lug nuts are on the hairy edge of really needing to be done with a
torque wrench or not. Some cars you do really need to use one, 99.nnn%
don't need it.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "no one" wrote:
the only things i use a torqu wrench on *are conrod *bolts, main caps and
cylinder heads...

IOW, you *don't* use one on brake or suspension components? Not wise.

Anything that just doesn't need to come loose by itself (as opposed to
needing a specific clamping force or an even clamping force across
multiple bolts) just need to be tight enough.

Telling what fasteners are doing which type of job is of course one
way to get into trouble with that philosophy.

Lug nuts are on the hairy edge of really needing to be done with a
torque wrench or not. Some cars you do really need to use one, 99.nnn%
don't need it.

Yabbut, on disc brakes, which every car now has, it's HIGHLY
recommended. That said, once you've done 1,000 of 'em, you develop an
internal torque wrench of your own.

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"no one" top-posted (see below, top-post repaired):
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

putting a tractor back together.

can't find torque specs for flywheel and clutch on this antique ford.

I've got 7/16 NF and 5/16 NC bolts. How tight?

Top-post repaired:
the only things i use a torqu wrench on are conrod bolts, main caps and
cylinder heads...

just tighten them up fairly hard.

I once needed a tire fixed, they let me watch them do it. The tire kickers
actually used a torque wrench on my lug nuts! I wanted to buy them a pizza
or something!

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
the only things i use a torqu wrench on *are conrod *bolts, main caps
and cylinder heads...

IOW, you *don't* use one on brake or suspension components? Not wise.

Anything that just doesn't need to come loose by itself (as opposed to
needing a specific clamping force or an even clamping force across
multiple bolts) just need to be tight enough.

Telling what fasteners are doing which type of job is of course one
way to get into trouble with that philosophy.

Lug nuts are on the hairy edge of really needing to be done with a
torque wrench or not. Some cars you do really need to use one, 99.nnn%
don't need it.

I was kind of surprised when I learned that the reason for a torque spec
is so that the bolt doesn't get _over_ tightened!

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 14:58:13 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

I once needed a tire fixed, they let me watch them do it. The tire kickers
actually used a torque wrench on my lug nuts! I wanted to buy them a pizza
or something!

My usual tyre dealer ( family business ) insists that his staff
tighten all nuts by hand using a normal 4 way tyre spanner. They
remove them with a rattle gun though. He also insists that
customers return every 10,000 km for a FREE tyre rotation and wheel
re-balance. My last set lasted over 100,000 km as a result. Having
moved away from the area I now travel 80 km for my tyres at very
competitive prices.

Alan