Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Don't try this at home

I've been blowing snow three hours a day for a week now. Opened up
field roads for the farm. About a mile total for snow averaging three
feet deep. It wouldn't have taken but a day except for the fact that
there was a rain storm last December on top of a few inches of snow
and the temps dropped below zero. This left a one inch sheet of ice
below all the snow.

Anyway, in my years of blowing I've ran a cement block, a steel fence
post, and a concrete silo stave through the blower. Not as exciting as
this morning's event - a full five gallon gas can. The spout blew it
all over the 500 gallon gas and 1000 gallon diesel barrel. No fire,
thank goodness. I immediately shut down. Wonder how long till I get
the nerve to start again?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I've been blowing snow three hours a day for a week now. Opened up
field roads for the farm. About a mile total for snow averaging three
feet deep. It wouldn't have taken but a day except for the fact that
there was a rain storm last December on top of a few inches of snow
and the temps dropped below zero. This left a one inch sheet of ice
below all the snow.

Anyway, in my years of blowing I've ran a cement block, a steel fence
post, and a concrete silo stave through the blower. Not as exciting as
this morning's event - a full five gallon gas can. The spout blew it
all over the 500 gallon gas and 1000 gallon diesel barrel. No fire,
thank goodness. I immediately shut down. Wonder how long till I get
the nerve to start again?

Wow. That's a sphincter-tightening moment for sure.

Back when I was a kid, my dad would tell stories
about the railroad "rotaries" and what they
would pick up and toss a couple hundred feet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I've been blowing snow three hours a day for a week now. Opened up
field roads for the farm. About a mile total for snow averaging three
feet deep. It wouldn't have taken but a day except for the fact that
there was a rain storm last December on top of a few inches of snow
and the temps dropped below zero. This left a one inch sheet of ice
below all the snow.

Anyway, in my years of blowing I've ran a cement block, a steel fence
post, and a concrete silo stave through the blower. Not as exciting as
this morning's event - a full five gallon gas can. The spout blew it
all over the 500 gallon gas and 1000 gallon diesel barrel. No fire,
thank goodness. I immediately shut down. Wonder how long till I get
the nerve to start again?

Karl

Yikes!

The most exciting thing I hit with the snowblower in my years in the
frozen northeast was a mouse.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
news
I've been blowing snow three hours a day for a week now. Opened up
field roads for the farm. About a mile total for snow averaging three
feet deep. It wouldn't have taken but a day except for the fact that
there was a rain storm last December on top of a few inches of snow
and the temps dropped below zero. This left a one inch sheet of ice
below all the snow.

Anyway, in my years of blowing I've ran a cement block, a steel fence
post, and a concrete silo stave through the blower. Not as exciting as
this morning's event - a full five gallon gas can. The spout blew it
all over the 500 gallon gas and 1000 gallon diesel barrel. No fire,
thank goodness. I immediately shut down. Wonder how long till I get
the nerve to start again?

Karl

And I thought hitting the Sunday news paper was exciting, you WIN!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Karl Townsend"
wrote in
message
news
[...]

A guy down the road from here ate one of those
rubber entrance
matts made from pieces of tire. Yes, it was bound
up pretty tight!
Eleven horsepower is hard to stop....;)) phil
k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Too bad, a good fire would have melted all the snow and you wouldn't
have had to plow it.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 19:42:08 -0500, John
wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

What I wanna know is why nobody here is using their jetpack to remove
the snow from their driveway while having a real fun time flying
around the yard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gcurwcPs3U

Just another thing to make you go "Hmmmm..."

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A friend of mine works for the county. Some years ago he hit a half
full gas can (that somebody left in the ditch) with a large field mower.
It did light up. Took him several years to heal. Still has the scars.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------

Karl Townsend wrote:
I've been blowing snow three hours a day for a week now. Opened up
field roads for the farm. About a mile total for snow averaging three
feet deep. It wouldn't have taken but a day except for the fact that
there was a rain storm last December on top of a few inches of snow
and the temps dropped below zero. This left a one inch sheet of ice
below all the snow.

Anyway, in my years of blowing I've ran a cement block, a steel fence
post, and a concrete silo stave through the blower. Not as exciting as
this morning's event - a full five gallon gas can. The spout blew it
all over the 500 gallon gas and 1000 gallon diesel barrel. No fire,
thank goodness. I immediately shut down. Wonder how long till I get
the nerve to start again?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I've been blowing snow three hours a day for a week now. Opened up
field roads for the farm. About a mile total for snow averaging three
feet deep. It wouldn't have taken but a day except for the fact that
there was a rain storm last December on top of a few inches of snow
and the temps dropped below zero. This left a one inch sheet of ice
below all the snow.

Anyway, in my years of blowing I've ran a cement block, a steel fence
post, and a concrete silo stave through the blower. Not as exciting as
this morning's event - a full five gallon gas can. The spout blew it
all over the 500 gallon gas and 1000 gallon diesel barrel. No fire,
thank goodness. I immediately shut down. Wonder how long till I get
the nerve to start again?

Karl

My dad was mowing ditches back around 1972 and came across a loaded,
cocked rifle, without the safety on...
Nearly hit it with the mower. By a couple inches.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

What I wanna know is why nobody here is using their jetpack to remove
the snow from their driveway while having a real fun time flying
around the yard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gcurwcPs3U

Just another thing to make you go "Hmmmm..."

The Russian Air Force used to clear runways with an old jet engine mounted
on a truck.

How about a railroad doing it in Mass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr3Cg...layer_embedded

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:22:19 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

What I wanna know is why nobody here is using their jetpack to remove
the snow from their driveway while having a real fun time flying
around the yard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gcurwcPs3U

Just another thing to make you go "Hmmmm..."

The Russian Air Force used to clear runways with an old jet engine mounted
on a truck.

So did the US Air force using a jet engine mounted on a trailer.
Actually they weren't for the initial clearing but were used after
snow removal to clear and ice and to dry the pavement.

There was also a engine starter built from a small jet engine blowing
through angular vents that could be backed into the inlet of a B-52
engine and would spin the engine up to starting speed. A strictly
"emergency use only" to get the plane off the ground before the
missiles arrived.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John" wrote in message
Jim Stewart wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

We did that to melt snow off of large forgings before bringing them inside
at the Boeing plant except we used acetone instead.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:41:31 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I've been blowing snow three hours a day for a week now. Opened up
field roads for the farm. About a mile total for snow averaging three
feet deep. It wouldn't have taken but a day except for the fact that
there was a rain storm last December on top of a few inches of snow
and the temps dropped below zero. This left a one inch sheet of ice
below all the snow.

Anyway, in my years of blowing I've ran a cement block, a steel fence
post, and a concrete silo stave through the blower. Not as exciting as
this morning's event - a full five gallon gas can. The spout blew it
all over the 500 gallon gas and 1000 gallon diesel barrel. No fire,
thank goodness. I immediately shut down. Wonder how long till I get
the nerve to start again?

Karl

I relayed your story to a friend who used to plow the highway from
Gunnison to Crested Butte.

His quote "I know a guy who ran into a fire plug with a 8' blower
mounter on an Austin-Western Grader. Broke it off at the ground. The
next day he ran into a pallet of roof tiles and threw them thru the
lumber yard window. Exciting!

Note there was no confession. That rig had a V12 diesel mounted where
the blade would normally be that drove the blower. It would throw snow
200 feet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I knew a guy that was plowing snow with a large loader. He was clearing
a large pier going out into New Haven harbor. He thought he saw a
flash of yellow when pushing the snow into the bay.... The VW wsa
yellow.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John wrote:

I knew a guy that was plowing snow with a large loader. He was clearing
a large pier going out into New Haven harbor. He thought he saw a
flash of yellow when pushing the snow into the bay.... The VW wsa
yellow.

Did it float?

Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

John wrote:

I knew a guy that was plowing snow with a large loader. He was clearing
a large pier going out into New Haven harbor. He thought he saw a
flash of yellow when pushing the snow into the bay.... The VW wsa
yellow.

Did it float?

The pier was pretty high above the water and he did not see it after it
went over the side.
The piers were on the east side of the harbor, right near the Steak and
Ale restaurant.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

John wrote:

I knew a guy that was plowing snow with a large loader. He was clearing
a large pier going out into New Haven harbor. He thought he saw a
flash of yellow when pushing the snow into the bay.... The VW wsa
yellow.

Did it float?

The pier was pretty high above the water and he did not see it after it
went over the side.
The piers were on the east side of the harbor, right near the Steak and
Ale restaurant.

It sounds like the VW needed a stake more than a steak! ;-)

Teflon coated.