Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fixed the rotary table rotating backwards

I mentioned yesterday that the RT was rotating "backwards". Say, if
the pointer arrow was at 20 degrees and I told it to go to 30 degrees
by saying

G0 A30

it would actually go backwards and stop at 10 degrees instead.

Well, I fixed it by reversing DC leads and by changing the sign of
INPUT_SCALE.

I am also sure that I have some kind of a tuning or mechanical issue
with the RT and will try to open it up on the weekend. It takes a lot
of torque to move (about 3-5 amps) and moves in a slightly jerky
fashion. It may also be a servo loop tuning issue too, purely a
software problem or a wrong setting of the onboard pots on the DC
servo drive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31164 wrote:

I mentioned yesterday that the RT was rotating "backwards". Say, if
the pointer arrow was at 20 degrees and I told it to go to 30 degrees
by saying

G0 A30

it would actually go backwards and stop at 10 degrees instead.

Well, I fixed it by reversing DC leads and by changing the sign of
INPUT_SCALE.

I am also sure that I have some kind of a tuning or mechanical issue
with the RT and will try to open it up on the weekend. It takes a lot
of torque to move (about 3-5 amps) and moves in a slightly jerky
fashion. It may also be a servo loop tuning issue too, purely a
software problem or a wrong setting of the onboard pots on the DC
servo drive.

You've checked that the RT turns smoothly and without excessive drag by
turning the motor shaft manually with everything unpowered? No table
locks / clamps / brakes applied and dragging? CNC RTs often have
pneumatic operated table clamps that need to be released before
movement.

Next you need to work up a design and G-code to machine a mounting
bracket for your home switch and the ramp to trigger it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-27, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus31164 wrote:

[...]

I will look tonight. I think that I need to open it.

It IS hard to turn by hand. I tried this months ago.

Yesterday, I opened an end cover of the place where bevel gears turn
rotation by 90 degrees, and found some strange brown grease, which
seems like it is clean. I will try to remove the turntable tonight
to see how the worm system looks like.

I have not found pneumatic anything on it. I think that it is a VERY
early model of CNC rotary tables, basically the same as the U12 rotary
table, but with a servo motor and 90 degree direction changer, instead
of a manual handle. This suite me just fine.

There is a lock nut on it, but I thought that I loosened it.

I will take some pictures if I open it up.

Next you need to work up a design and G-code to machine a mounting
bracket for your home switch and the ramp to trigger it.

Rotary Table ??? Bob La Londe Metalworking 9 March 31st 09 08:35 PM
ROTATING FINISHING TABLE J T Woodworking 6 October 1st 07 03:00 AM
Rotary table ID? tokarev Metalworking 1 May 20th 04 12:57 AM
Rotary table help. Todd Rich Metalworking 1 October 6th 03 02:52 PM
Stationary planers - fixed head or fixed table? Steve Turner Woodworking 5 July 12th 03 02:15 AM