Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Curl up with a book....

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:37:02 -0800, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message
news
and you might die laughing. See:

http://www.abebooks.com/books/weird/index.shtml

Now you can find a volume that will do double duty as both
a go(ing)-away gift and next year's Xmas present.
And there is both metal and wood content.

Funnier yet, some of the titles I've digested conceal fine
scholarship. But "How to Teach
Physics to Your Dog" may have it backwards?

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Most of the books I saw there have normal looking titles. "Trout Madness" by
Robert Traver was one which resided on my bookshelf for a number of years.
He also wrote "Anatomy of a Murder" which was Michigan based as were his
fishing books.

Other titles worth reading by this author a
"Danny and The Boys" and "Small Town DA"

Maybe you hadda visit the UP, Marquette and Ishpeming MI to
appreciate the flavor, but they haven't changed much since the
fifties.

Not long ago, I engaged a very comely young lass in conversation in a
coffee shop in Marquette while Mary was visiting a quilt shop. I
asked her if anyone spoke yooper anymore. Back in the sixties when I
attended university in the UP there was a very distinct U.P. accent
and manner of speech. U.P. is upper peninsula, those who live there
are yoopers. The rest of Michigan are lopers.

The young woman told me that her S.O. had applied for a job at a
resort in Big Bay, which I knew to be at the end of perhaps the
longest, most desolate 26 miles of road in the universe. They liked
him OK but didn't want to hire him because he didn't sound like he was
from around there. He replied in flawless Yooper and was immediately
hired.

Traver's capture of the UP characters is wonderful, a fun read even if
you're not familiar with the region.