Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More on manuals -- update

On 2011-01-12, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2011-01-11, RS at work wrote:

Ignoramus12953 wrote:
A little update. I found my way around LOGSA. I wrote a perl script,
that I called logsa.pl, that pulls manuals from LOGSA given their
document number (for example, 5-6115-584-34 for TM-5-6115-584-34).

[ ... ]

I registered a website, http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/ , which is
empty for now, but soon I will have a boatload of technical manuals
there.

[ ... ]

Not being a computer guy like yourself, I am curious why if Uncle Sam
already has the manuals on their servers, why not just have an index
and link to the govenrment site to download the manual? Seems to me
that that would require less hardware than storing the files and tying
up your server to distribute the large files.

Well ... one reason that I can think of is for the manuals to
remain available after the government decides to retire that particular
piece of equipment. They pull manuals which no longer apply to things
in current use. Hobbyists, however (including people on this
newsgroup), are quite likely to get just such equipment, and need to
repair said equipment.

The government website that I know is called LOGSA and it is very user
unfriendly and does not really present links to manuals in a nice
way.

That's why manuals are so hard to find --- they are all there, but
search engines cannot find them.

That's what I want to change.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-11, RS at work wrote:

Ignoramus12953 wrote:
[...]

Be aware that they track all activity, and may block your IP address
if you try to download too much, too fast. Also, there are parts of the
website that require a user name and password.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-11, RS at work wrote:

Ignoramus12953 wrote:
[...]