Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shop Food Haute Cuisine

Martin Eastburn wrote:
What - keeping your waffles in the LN2 bottle and then toasting later ?!

Martin

On 1/17/2011 6:03 PM, Dennis wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
Pete Snell wrote:
It's too cold today (-20°C) to run across to the canteen to get
something for morning break. So we split a banana lengthwise, sprinkled
some sugar on the surface and caramelized it with a propane torch. Yum!
Went great with coffee.

Sounds good but I don't think I can do it
with a soldering iron...

Use your hot air / shrink gun. Good for toasting waffles too.

Used to do similar things in the old paint shop. The powder ovens ran
between 350-450 degrees for the most part. Conveyor trip was usually
about 30 minutes. Made up a nice rack out of stainless with a cover on
it. You could toss a large pizza on there, let it run through the oven
and have lunch.
--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim wrote in message
Pete Snell wrote:
It's too cold today (-20°C) to run across to the canteen to get
something for morning break. So we split a banana lengthwise, sprinkled
some sugar on the surface and caramelized it with a propane torch. Yum!
Went great with coffee.

Sounds good but I don't think I can do it
with a soldering iron...

Use your hot air / shrink gun. Good for toasting waffles too.

Used to do similar things in the old paint shop. The powder ovens ran
between 350-450 degrees for the most part. Conveyor trip was usually
about 30 minutes. Made up a nice rack out of stainless with a cover on
it. You could toss a large pizza on there, let it run through the oven
and have lunch.

You sound like the same guy that used the
vapor degreaser to clean his carburetors...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim wrote in message
Pete Snell wrote:
It's too cold today (-20°C) to run across to the canteen to get
something for morning break. So we split a banana lengthwise,
sprinkled some sugar on the surface and caramelized it with a propane
torch. Yum! Went great with coffee.

Sounds good but I don't think I can do it
with a soldering iron...

Use your hot air / shrink gun. Good for toasting waffles too.

Used to do similar things in the old paint shop. The powder ovens ran
between 350-450 degrees for the most part. Conveyor trip was usually
about 30 minutes. Made up a nice rack out of stainless with a cover on
it. You could toss a large pizza on there, let it run through the oven
and have lunch.

My Dad used to tell stories about when he was teenager and got a job as a
snout-bander[1] at the Hormel plant in Austin, MN. He said he and his
buddies would swipe a ham off the output side of the smoker, and run it
through again, and they'd share the twice-smoked ham. Apparently, it was
fall-off-the-bone, melt-in-your-mouth tender. Yum!

(He didn't say anything about the ethics or morality of stealing a ham. ;-)

[1] Snout-bander: He would put big a rubber band around the pig snouts
when they dipped them into the rosin that they then used to pull all the
bristles off, kinda like a full-body bikini wax. =:-O It didn't hurt the
pigs, though - they were already dead. (the band kept the rosin out of
the inside of the pig.)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

"Jim wrote in message
Pete Snell wrote:
It's too cold today (-20°C) to run across to the canteen to get
something for morning break. So we split a banana lengthwise,
sprinkled
some sugar on the surface and caramelized it with a propane torch.
Yum!
Went great with coffee.

Sounds good but I don't think I can do it
with a soldering iron...

Use your hot air / shrink gun. Good for toasting waffles too.

Used to do similar things in the old paint shop. The powder ovens ran
between 350-450 degrees for the most part. Conveyor trip was usually
about 30 minutes. Made up a nice rack out of stainless with a cover on
it. You could toss a large pizza on there, let it run through the oven
and have lunch.

You sound like the same guy that used the
vapor degreaser to clean his carburetors...

Yep, and blocks and heads... Ran a LOT of items through that shop over
the years. It was one of the benefits of working there.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message ...

Jim Stewart wrote:

"Jim wrote in message
Pete Snell wrote:
[...]

Reply:
Company I worked for in the 60's and 70's had a solvent spray booth. Loved
that booth. Come back from an abalone diving and cooking trip on the north
coast of Calif and take the camp stove in to the booth and get it all clean
and degreased in about 5 minutes. With no mess or fuss.

cuisine PAN reader Home Repair 0 January 4th 11 03:39 PM
Why are schools dumping auto shop, wood shop, and metal shop? [email protected] Metalworking 105 September 8th 10 10:56 PM
Food shortage ethanol follies, I've planted a food garden. [email protected] Home Repair 106 May 8th 08 09:43 PM