Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 00:31:38 -0600, Ignoramus25384
wrote:

The tab on my son's jacket zipper, that you would grab to move the
zipper up and down, broke.

I made a replacement as an oblong ring made of 1/16" 316 stainless TIG
wire. By the way, this can be done super nicely and easily using round
nose pliers -- the result is great looking and is easy to make.

Anyway, in the end I had to weld the link shut, as a butt weld. I used
the same wire as filler.

It worked, but left a little "bulb" near the weld. After careful
grinding, it is fine, but I wonder: Is there some secret technique to
such welding, that would make the weld look very similar to
surrounding wire? (TIG)

With TIG, a sharp point, good machine, and light touch.

Or you could try spot welding.

Or you could angle the ends at 45 degrees and leave that end in the
zipper slider and the finer wire end at the bottom. The angled end
would tend to stay in the slider.

_______
/ |
Weld this end \_______|

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one