Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sound Deadening metal

I was killing time at the Ford dealer getting the air bag system repaired in my new to me
car and I saw a display of why their truck is better than everyone else's truck.

They had a sample claiming sound deadening metal and a small chunk of rusty looking sheet
metal labeled competitors along with a steel rod to strike both. Well no chit, the
competitors made noise just like I expected. The Ford sample didn't but there was a
partial bend in one corner so I wonder if that was a trick.

Thoughts?

Wes
--

I was a skeptic before I became a cynic.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-29, Wes wrote:
I was killing time at the Ford dealer getting the air bag system repaired in my new to me
car and I saw a display of why their truck is better than everyone else's truck.

They had a sample claiming sound deadening metal and a small chunk of rusty looking sheet
metal labeled competitors along with a steel rod to strike both. Well no chit, the
competitors made noise just like I expected. The Ford sample didn't but there was a
partial bend in one corner so I wonder if that was a trick.

Thoughts?

Wes

Lead works great for sound deadening.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Wes wrote:

I was killing time at the Ford dealer getting the air bag system repaired in
my new to me
car and I saw a display of why their truck is better than everyone else's
truck.

They had a sample claiming sound deadening metal and a small chunk of rusty
looking sheet
metal labeled competitors along with a steel rod to strike both. Well no
chit, the
competitors made noise just like I expected. The Ford sample didn't but
there was a
partial bend in one corner so I wonder if that was a trick.

Thoughts?

Yes:
http://www.search-autoparts.com/sear...ews/Sound-dead
ening-laminated-steel-use-grows/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/132549

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 16:59:27 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Wes wrote:

I was killing time at the Ford dealer getting the air bag system repaired in
my new to me
car and I saw a display of why their truck is better than everyone else's
truck.

They had a sample claiming sound deadening metal and a small chunk of rusty
looking sheet
metal labeled competitors along with a steel rod to strike both. Well no
chit, the
competitors made noise just like I expected. The Ford sample didn't but
there was a
partial bend in one corner so I wonder if that was a trick.

Thoughts?

Yes:
http://www.search-autoparts.com/sear...ews/Sound-dead
ening-laminated-steel-use-grows/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/132549

Joe Gwinn

Interesting!

Id never heard of it until today.

difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."

--Gene Spafford, 1992
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-29, Wes wrote:
I was killing time at the Ford dealer getting the air bag system repaired in my new to me
car and I saw a display of why their truck is better than everyone else's truck.

They had a sample claiming sound deadening metal and a small chunk of rusty looking sheet
metal labeled competitors along with a steel rod to strike both. Well no chit, the
competitors made noise just like I expected. The Ford sample didn't but there was a
partial bend in one corner so I wonder if that was a trick.

Thoughts?

Wes

Lead works great for sound deadening.

Really? Every time I play with lead a loud bang follows

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lead works great for sound deadening.

Really? Every time I play with lead a loud bang follows

Wes

Time to tune up the motor on your fishing boat, if it keeps backfiring
like that... ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal wrote:

Time to tune up the motor on your fishing boat, if it keeps backfiring
like that... ;-)

I gotta buy a boat first. I keep thinking a square transom canoe with an electric
trolling motor so I can go up river and float back would be the ticket. It would be
something I could tow it behind my Ford Focus.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 18:23:51 -0500, Wes
wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:

Time to tune up the motor on your fishing boat, if it keeps backfiring
like that... ;-)

I gotta buy a boat first. I keep thinking a square transom canoe with an electric
trolling motor so I can go up river and float back would be the ticket. It would be
something I could tow it behind my Ford Focus.

Wes

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Boat4#

Come and get it. Ill give it to you.

Gunner

difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."

--Gene Spafford, 1992
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 16:17:17 -0500, Wes
wrote:

I was killing time at the Ford dealer getting the air bag system repaired in my new to me
car and I saw a display of why their truck is better than everyone else's truck.

They had a sample claiming sound deadening metal and a small chunk of rusty looking sheet
metal labeled competitors along with a steel rod to strike both. Well no chit, the
competitors made noise just like I expected. The Ford sample didn't but there was a
partial bend in one corner so I wonder if that was a trick.

No, it wasn't.

Thoughts?

Y'know that sticky, butyl rubber/cork-based crap they used to wrap
around evaporator lines for the auto air conditioning 30 years ago?
Stuck to a piece of sheetmetal and then stuck on a door panel, it
deadens that door panel. I'm sure there are dozens of new acrylic
bonding agents which do the same thing nowadays.

But any spray or sticky treatment means that any dents in the panel
will generally require an entire panel replacement. It's not
cost-effective to remove that sticky stuff since it takes so long.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
googled material

--
Make the best use of what is in your power,
and take the rest as it happens.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You are probably on the right track with this. The better quality
stainless steel sinks use some tarry sticky stuff underneath to absorb
the sound from dripping water.

From what I understand, spray on undercoating works to damppen sound
also.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

From what I understand, spray on undercoating works to damppen sound
also.- Hide quoted text -

VW used to put what was called "tar boards" on the floor pans and in
some of the doors on the air-cooled line back when for deadening
vibration. It worked. Not much has changed except the materials
used.

Stan