Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any recommendations for a "media center"?

Gunner Asch wrote:
Im wanting to hook up a VCR, DVD, tuner/amp etc etc to my tv set.

Some of the devices are rf, some are video/audio and so forth.

Any one have any idea of what such a center would be called? Im having
a stoke moment coming up with something on Ebay.

A box that brings all the various outputs from the devices and puts them
out to both a tv set and an amp so I can listen/watch all the various
devices in turn.

There are boxes out there that take multiple video/audio..but only a few
of the devices are AV..some are RF in/out such as a vcr.

The TV has both rf and AV inputs..and is hooked to a digital converter
so we can watch the new standard airplay.

Anyone?

Gunner

Sounds like the mess I used to have, that VCR must be a REALLY old one
if it doesn't have AV/Audio on it.

The easy solution is to grab a combo player that does DVD and VHS then
just run them through the tuner/amp. Also gives you the ability to
record DVD.

You could hunt up a home theater unit. Those usually have an RF in jack
that you could use to connect the VCR. But they are usually not real
cheap. If you picked up one with a digital tuner and DVD or Blu-ray
player then you could eliminate the converter box and the DVD. Plus the
tuner and amp. The antenna would connect to the VCR out on VCR would
connect to Home Theater unit and you would have surround sound for all
of the media that supported it.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:54:03 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
Im wanting to hook up a VCR, DVD, tuner/amp etc etc to my tv set.

Some of the devices are rf, some are video/audio and so forth.

Any one have any idea of what such a center would be called? Im having
a stoke moment coming up with something on Ebay.

A box that brings all the various outputs from the devices and puts them
out to both a tv set and an amp so I can listen/watch all the various
devices in turn.

There are boxes out there that take multiple video/audio..but only a few
of the devices are AV..some are RF in/out such as a vcr.

The TV has both rf and AV inputs..and is hooked to a digital converter
so we can watch the new standard airplay.

Anyone?

Gunner

Sounds like the mess I used to have, that VCR must be a REALLY old one
if it doesn't have AV/Audio on it.

Ayup. When they to tits up..I pick up another one at the second hand
stores. This one is a GE and was NOS when I bought it a few months ago
for $10

The easy solution is to grab a combo player that does DVD and VHS then
just run them through the tuner/amp. Also gives you the ability to
record DVD.

Ayup. Ill start looking for one of those

You could hunt up a home theater unit. Those usually have an RF in jack
that you could use to connect the VCR. But they are usually not real
cheap. If you picked up one with a digital tuner and DVD or Blu-ray
player then you could eliminate the converter box and the DVD. Plus the
tuner and amp. The antenna would connect to the VCR out on VCR would
connect to Home Theater unit and you would have surround sound for all
of the media that supported it.

Ill hit up ebay and look around for one of those.

Top 10 Democrat Party Slogans

10. Bitterly clinging to aborton and taxes
9. We didnt destroy your freedoms, you can
visit them at the Smithstonian
8. If you want us to listen to your opinion, move to Europ
7. Someday none of this will be yours
6. We can't tax terrorism, so who cares?
5. Please don't vote us out!! None of us can hold a real job!
4. Why the Founding Fathers limited Government:
Racism!
3. Reducing America's carbon footprint, one job at a time.
2. America: We just cant wait to see how it ends!!
1. Making everything in this country free, except you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Steve, I think you meant "DVD and VHS player/recorder". A straight
player won't record DVDs while most VHSes were player/recorders by
default. The DVD players were considerably less expensive (by several
hundred dollars) when they came out.

You could hunt up a home theater unit. Those usually have an RF in jack
that you could use to connect the VCR. But they are usually not real
cheap. If you picked up one with a digital tuner and DVD or Blu-ray
player then you could eliminate the converter box and the DVD. Plus the
tuner and amp. The antenna would connect to the VCR out on VCR would
connect to Home Theater unit and you would have surround sound for all
of the media that supported it.

I think what Gunner wants is simply called an Audio/Video Receiver. My
old Technics SA-DX930 is eons old and still kickin' with 5.1 surround
+ subwoofer (which I don't have, but the old Bose 501s still kick out
some healthy bass and booming explosions in action flicks.)

Gunner, go to www.Crutchfield.com and have some vicarious fun, then
search for a/v receivers locally. HelL.A. should be full of them for
dirt cheap prices, when you're working. One of these would be great:
http://fwd4.me/aM7 , though it's way newer and pricier than you want.
I cut my eye-teeth on Pioneer and owned them for decades, both in home
and auto stereos.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

$1600 for a freaking turntable????????? Marantz sure carries a nice
price tag..dont they?

HelL.A. should be full of them for
dirt cheap prices, when you're working. One of these would be great:
http://fwd4.me/aM7 , though it's way newer and pricier than you want.
I cut my eye-teeth on Pioneer and owned them for decades, both in home
and auto stereos.

Doesnt have RF input.

But certainly has just about every other type,doesnt it?

Ill check into "home theater" down in LA..or another type of VCR with
Vid/aud out puts

Gunner

Top 10 Democrat Party Slogans

10. Bitterly clinging to aborton and taxes
9. We didnt destroy your freedoms, you can
visit them at the Smithstonian
8. If you want us to listen to your opinion, move to Europ
7. Someday none of this will be yours
6. We can't tax terrorism, so who cares?
5. Please don't vote us out!! None of us can hold a real job!
4. Why the Founding Fathers limited Government:
Racism!
3. Reducing America's carbon footprint, one job at a time.
2. America: We just cant wait to see how it ends!!
1. Making everything in this country free, except you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

That they do. A friend, when I was living in Phoenix last century,
had a Marantz 3000 Preamp. I almost came when I heard the difference
it made with our old, scratchy vinyl albums. That thing was $2000 in
'70s dollars.

HelL.A. should be full of them for
dirt cheap prices, when you're working. One of these would be great:
http://fwd4.me/aM7 , though it's way newer and pricier than you want.
I cut my eye-teeth on Pioneer and owned them for decades, both in home
and auto stereos.

Doesnt have RF input.

It's not a sig-gen. g WTF are you talking about, anyway?
Your sat box should convert microwave sat sigs to a/v.
Who wants to put RF into a receiver, anyway?

But certainly has just about every other type,doesnt it?

Ill check into "home theater" down in LA..or another type of VCR with
Vid/aud out puts

There ya go!

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

What sat-box? I only have on-air local channels via a tv antenna.

But certainly has just about every other type,doesnt it?

Ill check into "home theater" down in LA..or another type of VCR with
Vid/aud out puts

There ya go!

Top 10 Democrat Party Slogans

10. Bitterly clinging to aborton and taxes
9. We didnt destroy your freedoms, you can
visit them at the Smithstonian
8. If you want us to listen to your opinion, move to Europ
7. Someday none of this will be yours
6. We can't tax terrorism, so who cares?
5. Please don't vote us out!! None of us can hold a real job!
4. Why the Founding Fathers limited Government:
Racism!
3. Reducing America's carbon footprint, one job at a time.
2. America: We just cant wait to see how it ends!!
1. Making everything in this country free, except you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

It's not a sig-gen. g WTF are you talking about, anyway?
Your sat box should convert microwave sat sigs to a/v.
Who wants to put RF into a receiver, anyway?

What sat-box? I only have on-air local channels via a tv antenna.

Oh. A/V receivers have built-in demodulators for TV, usually an
F-type coax connector. I thought you had some exotic feed or sumpin'.