Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Speeds / Feeds / Depth

I had received an e-mail recently saying the G-Wizard was going to go to a
subscription basis. It sure sounded like you would have to pay every year
to continue to use it. I don't mind paying a fair price for a copy, but
paying for a license to use it every year sounded a bit excessive to me. It
started me on a hunt for a speed/feed/depth calculator to replace it. I
found a reference to a freeware program called ME Consultant 2.0 on an old
conversation from 2003 on CNC Zone.

I found a copy he
http://www.softsea.com/download/ME-Consultant.html

I scanned the download with Avast, but you should scan it too just to be
safe.

It seems to work similar to G-wizard except totally free. I noticed there
is no accounting for horsepower. In small cutters that's not an issue, but
in bigger cutters that could be a problem. I figured take its numbers and
stay conservative. G-wizard gives me numbers some times anyway that I know
will plug and break a cutter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/5/2010 11:54 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

I had received an e-mail recently saying the G-Wizard was going to go to
a subscription basis. It sure sounded like you would have to pay every
year to continue to use it. I don't mind paying a fair price for a copy,
but paying for a license to use it every year sounded a bit excessive to
me. It started me on a hunt for a speed/feed/depth calculator to replace
it. I found a reference to a freeware program called ME Consultant 2.0
on an old conversation from 2003 on CNC Zone.

I found the subscription model of little interest. It's a nice clean
product, but for the few times I'd actually be using it, I would have to
think twice about a one time purchase at the asking price.
I politely expressed my thoughts to the author, never got a reply.
Oh well...

I have Jim Rowe's excellent Machinist Journeyman in both inch and hard
metric versions on my Ipod Touch, $20 for both, lifetime free updates.

Went to D/L ME-Consultant, and discovered I already had but never got
around to installing. Guess I'll give it a go now!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 12/5/2010 11:54 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

I had received an e-mail recently saying the G-Wizard was going to go to
a subscription basis. It sure sounded like you would have to pay every
year to continue to use it. I don't mind paying a fair price for a copy,
but paying for a license to use it every year sounded a bit excessive to
me. It started me on a hunt for a speed/feed/depth calculator to replace
it. I found a reference to a freeware program called ME Consultant 2.0
on an old conversation from 2003 on CNC Zone.

I found the subscription model of little interest. It's a nice clean
product, but for the few times I'd actually be using it, I would have to
think twice about a one time purchase at the asking price.
I politely expressed my thoughts to the author, never got a reply.
Oh well...

Same here.

I have Jim Rowe's excellent Machinist Journeyman in both inch and hard
metric versions on my Ipod Touch, $20 for both, lifetime free updates.

That might be interesting I wonder if it will run on my Droid.

Went to D/L ME-Consultant, and discovered I already had but never got
around to installing. Guess I'll give it a go now!

LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 13:01:01 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

[...]

I've been using the ME-consultant for some time now, Always gives me
good numbers. at least to start with.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.