Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electronic pickpocket

Legit or not, I do not know. It is any interesting concept to think
about

http://www.wreg.com/videobeta/?watch...a-1884ec348310

Comments?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry wrote:
Legit or not, I do not know. It is any interesting concept to think
about

http://www.wreg.com/videobeta/?watch...a-1884ec348310

Comments?

Ah yes , good 'ol WREG did that piece a few days ago . Only works if your
card has an RFID chip . Works on passports too because now they all have a
chip , but there is a solution . Just wrap it in foil . I believe the term
they used was Faraday cage ... any metallic enclosure is supposed to block
the RF query .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerry" wrote in message
Legit or not, I do not know. It is any interesting concept to think
about

http://www.wreg.com/videobeta/?watch...a-1884ec348310

Comments?

I recently renewed my passport and also got the optional passport card which
is good for land or sea travel around the United States. The card came with
the foil lined sleeve mentioned in the story, although the full sized
passport did not.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have no idea why my posts are all doubled today . Not just here , all
newsgroups have been affected .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Legit or not, I do not know. It is any interesting concept to think
about

http://www.wreg.com/videobeta/?watch...a-1884ec348310

Comments?

Ah yes , good 'ol WREG did that piece a few days ago . Only works if your
card has an RFID chip . Works on passports too because now they all have a
chip , but there is a solution . Just wrap it in foil . I believe the term
they used was Faraday cage ... any metallic enclosure is supposed to block
the RF query .

Or just get an RF bag from just about any electronics store. OR visit
your local place that deals with the RF tags used on toll roads. They
have an RF bag for the units so that you can stop it from being used as
needed.

You could even be tricky and make a nice fitted case for your passport
that blocks RF. Just use some thin leather/material with an RF blocker
between the layers. Probably available online or even from the place you
got the passport.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
Gerry wrote:

Legit or not, I do not know. It is any interesting concept to think
about

http://www.wreg.com/videobeta/?watch...a-1884ec348310

Comments?

First of all, there is no trick. They really can do this, and while the
commercial reader used here has a range of a few inches, the trick can
be used ten to one hundred feet away with the right equipment.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/02/cloning_rfid_pa_1.html

What will pretty much abolish the response is a credit-card size piece
of 0.020" brass stock kept in the stack with the real credit cards.
That's what the ID badge thing did, the one where if open the card could
be scanned, but if closed no scan.

Also, I bet a couple of chipped credit cards in a stack will all respond
in unison, garbling each other's responses.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 13:31:06 -0800 (PST), Gerry
wrote:

Legit or not, I do not know. It is any interesting concept to think
about

http://www.wreg.com/videobeta/?watch...a-1884ec348310

Comments?

Scary chit, Maynard. Luckily, it doesn't get the security number from
the back...but does the new RFID number require one?

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry wrote:
Legit or not, I do not know. It is any interesting concept to think
about

http://www.wreg.com/videobeta/?watch...a-1884ec348310

Comments?

I was warned about this sort of thing last time I was in Holland earlier
in the year. In that case it wasn't credit cards but RFID travel cards
that were having money electronically removed in the same way.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:49:57 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

Gerry wrote:
Legit or not, I do not know. It is any interesting concept to think
about

http://www.wreg.com/videobeta/?watch...a-1884ec348310

Comments?

I was warned about this sort of thing last time I was in Holland earlier
in the year. In that case it wasn't credit cards but RFID travel cards
that were having money electronically removed in the same way.

That's what the PIN number is for on the new CHIP credit/debit
cards. "sumpthin' to show, and sumpthin' to know".