Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default taper

It has been 55+ years since I had to do trig. I wear very large
"L" plates when working my lathe.

I have to make an inside tapered sleeve to repair the steering ball
taper on my tractor to compensate for 46 years of wear. I have
replaced the Tie rod end, however the wear is in the steering arm
part, which is why I have to make a sleeve. I will bore out the
steering arm and fit the sleeve which will match the tie rod end
taper.

Tractor is 1964 Fordson Super Major - Ford 5000 in USA ?
Fitted with Eaton power steering unit.

Dimensions of the taper are

top 19 mm (0.75 inch) diameter
bottom 16 mm (0.63 inch) diameter
length between
top & bottom 25.4 mm (1.0 inch)

How do I calculate the degrees so I can set the compound to cut the
taper ?

Thanks
Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

The half-angle = arctan(0.5*(0.75 - 0.63) / 1.0) = 3.43 deg. However, I
suspect your measurements may not be accurate. Common tapers for tie rods
are 1.2"/foot or 1.5"/foot. Your measurements give 1.44"/foot. If your
bottom diameter were actually .625" that would be a 1.5"/ft taper or 3.58
deg. half angle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:31:58 -0800, "anorton"
wrote:

The half-angle = arctan(0.5*(0.75 - 0.63) / 1.0) = 3.43 deg. However, I
suspect your measurements may not be accurate. Common tapers for tie rods
are 1.2"/foot or 1.5"/foot. Your measurements give 1.44"/foot. If your
bottom diameter were actually .625" that would be a 1.5"/ft taper or 3.58
deg. half angle.

You are right, I checked my measurements again a bit closer to
the bottom edge and also looked at the manufacturers specs, which were
0.625.

Thank you for your assistance, I have to try to re-learn trig
for my metalworking, as I did not use it at work. I have no problem
with algebra as it was used in calculating formulae and proportions of
ingredients for quality control, which was my job. I would probably
take a couple of days to get up to speed with calculations as I
retired just over 15 years ago and, of course, my employer had to put
on 2 people to do my job and they were still slower than I was.

Thanks,

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 16, 1:01*am, wrote:
[...]

Put the tie rod end in the lathe and set the compound parallel to the
taper with an indicator.

jsw