Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Got another boat this week

I'd put a 75hp or very close to it. Don't over power - out of boat
specs. Then I'd have a reasonable trolling motor on a battery for
when stealth is needed or when the main motor craps out!

Martin

On 11/14/2010 7:21 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
https://www.allpar.com/photos/boats/commando.jpg

Picked up one of these, no idea of the year. They were made from '68-72

Its in rather surprising good shape, missing the bow rail......and the
motor. On a factory trailer also in rather good shape.

Hull and deck needs polishing and a new coat of paint would not be out
of order.

Last time it had tags on the boat, was in 2005. Originally it had a
Chrysler 75hp outboard, but somewhere along the line it was removed and
evidently a Johnson installed..as there are replacement Johnson controls
installed. I dont think it saw much sal****er, based on the hull
condition, but..shrug..I really dont know.

One of my clients bought an anodizing company and the boat was way
outback in the yard, tires flat, engine missing, filled with trash.
They were going to scrap it the day I asked about it..and they simply
gave it to me.

Ive restored a number of sailboats over the years..so the fiberglass
cleanup and repainting isnt a big issue, but finding an outboard is.
Its 15' long, and the hull has a dry weight about 665 lbs. according to
the docs Ive found on the net.

Any suggestions as to what sort of engine to put on it? Probably a
Johnson..shrug...but what hp?

Im very much of two minds...one is to hire a local kid to buff out the
glass, Ive got the proper media, electric buffer etc etc then polish it
and put it up for sale, or to keep the thing and add an outboard. It
really could use at least a bottom paint..but..shrug....

Any comments, suggestions, etc etc to help me make some decisions would
be appreciated

Here are some photos of the beasty.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Boat4#

Got another boat this week Don Foreman Metalworking 3 November 15th 10 12:40 PM
Got another boat this week [email protected] Metalworking 6 November 15th 10 11:25 AM
Need a Boat? Stoutman Woodworking 21 December 19th 06 10:22 PM
ICE BOAT J T Woodworking 0 January 13th 05 02:26 PM