Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Presbyopia, or "Old Guy Eyes"

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 12:23:41 -0700, "anorton"
wrote:

I am sorry to say this can be sign of cataracts starting to form. You should
see your opthamologist.

I'll bet he has an appointment next Wednesday.

My O.D. tells me that cataracts are no big deal anymore.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am sorry to say this can be sign of cataracts starting to form. You should
see your opthamologist.

I didn't see the original or its followup (I think that
"removethis" is in my killfile as part of a from address).

I'll bet he has an appointment next Wednesday.

My O.D. tells me that cataracts are no big deal anymore.

I would have to say this is true. I turned out to have rather
advanced cataracts (shifted my focus to much closer than the normal
"sharp at a distance", and produced a bunch of orange commas surrounding
oncoming headlights at night.

When told, I opted for the surgery right away.

First eye was within a month.

Second eye was about a month and a half later.

The only complication was a fairly normal eye infection (I
forget the name -- but it is common with kids), not directly after the
surgery, but after the second follow-up visit to the eye surgeon's
office (presumably from someone else in the waiting room) in the time
between the first and second operation.

You spend 24 hour with the operated eye totally blanked off,
then the cover comes off and you notice how much bluer everything looks
with the operated eye (the cataracts add yellow filtration). You have
to keep the cover taped on at night for a week or two, and avoid lifing
heavy things for about a month IIRC. (They even told me not to blow my
pennywhistles during that time. I could see that with a brass or
woodwind (or even a bagpipe), but the pressure for a good pennywhistle
is almost no difference from normal breathing pressure. But they are
"just being sure". :-)

My eyes are now back to sharp at a distance (leaving me with
safety glasses when working in the shop (bifocals -- medium and close
work), which is a good thing anyway).

Oh yes -- and you get some amazing color patterns during the
surgery. You need to be awake enough to follow directions to look to
the right or the left, and it is sort of like a trip the colors you see.
(Having no direct experience with a trip, I'm guessing there. :-)

And -- after you are done, you can say "I'm seeing things with
new eyes." :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564