Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT?? Positive air pressure in office?

I want to pump filtered air from the plant into the office and create
positive pressure to keep the dust level down. A few days after a thorough
scrubbing, there is a coating of fine dust on everything. We still do a lot
of woodwork shaping, drilling and sanding in the plant and the dust gets
everywhere. It's a small percentage of what it used to be since we
installed individual collectors on every machine and scrapped the central
bag house 40 hp blower. The office is about 1,200 square feet x 10'.

One thought I had was to buy a small furnace, remove the heating part and
duct-in air from the "clean" half of the plant by the office and run it
through a high efficiency filter and pump it into the office 24/7. Are
there off-shelf alternatives? One issue I see is the filters are not going
to last long and they aren't cheap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 3:05*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
I want to pump filtered air from the plant into the office and create
positive pressure to keep the dust level down. *A few days after a thorough
scrubbing, there is a coating of fine dust on everything. *We still do a lot
of woodwork shaping, drilling and sanding in the plant and the dust gets
everywhere. *It's a small percentage of what it used to be since we
installed individual collectors on every machine and scrapped the central
bag house 40 hp blower. *The office is about 1,200 square feet x 10'.

One thought I had was to buy a small furnace, remove the heating part and
duct-in air from the "clean" half of the plant by the office and run it
through a high efficiency filter and pump it into the office 24/7. *Are
there off-shelf alternatives? *One issue I see is the filters are not going
to last long and they aren't cheap.

Can a small cyclonic blower feed the office? Or maybe feed from that
to the furnace filter.
Pre-filter the air with a cyclonic collector anyway. Filters are
intended for on-demand use, not continuous capture.
The cylclonic is intended for continuous collection, which is what you
are intending.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:

I want to pump filtered air from the plant into the office and create
positive pressure to keep the dust level down. A few days after a thorough
scrubbing, there is a coating of fine dust on everything. We still do a lot
of woodwork shaping, drilling and sanding in the plant and the dust gets
everywhere. It's a small percentage of what it used to be since we
installed individual collectors on every machine and scrapped the central
bag house 40 hp blower. The office is about 1,200 square feet x 10'.

One thought I had was to buy a small furnace, remove the heating part and
duct-in air from the "clean" half of the plant by the office and run it
through a high efficiency filter and pump it into the office 24/7. Are
there off-shelf alternatives? One issue I see is the filters are not going
to last long and they aren't cheap.

Make a water based filter, like used in the Rainbow vacuum cleaner.
It will trap a lot, and if you add a little detegent to break the
surface tension it will remove every fine dust. Instead of replacing
the filter, yo drain it and add fresh water. It will help with low
humidity, too.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One thought I had was to buy a small furnace, remove the heating part and
duct-in air from the "clean" half of the plant by the office and run it
through a high efficiency filter and pump it into the office 24/7. *Are
there off-shelf alternatives? *One issue I see is the filters are not going
to last long and they aren't cheap.

Many arrangements such as yours have a hallway one must traverse from
the plant to the office. And sometimes the halllway is pressurized in
effect greating a large filter air to keep the dust down in the
office. Depending on the size of your office find a source for
relatively clean air, force it through a filter and pressurize the
office and/or the hallway.
I also like the small furnace idea. Filters will be cheap.

BobAZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 13:37:49 -0700 (PDT), Cross-Slide
wrote:

On Oct 5, 3:05*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
[...]

Try to find someone in your area that installs and maintains clean
rooms and consult with them. "Clean room" covers an incredible range
of options.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 1:05*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
I want to pump filtered air from the plant into the office and create
positive pressure to keep the dust level down. *A few days after a thorough
scrubbing, there is a coating of fine dust on everything. *We still do a lot
of woodwork shaping, drilling and sanding in the plant and the dust gets
everywhere. *It's a small percentage of what it used to be since we
installed individual collectors on every machine and scrapped the central
bag house 40 hp blower. *The office is about 1,200 square feet x 10'.

One thought I had was to buy a small furnace, remove the heating part and
duct-in air from the "clean" half of the plant by the office and run it
through a high efficiency filter and pump it into the office 24/7. *Are
there off-shelf alternatives? *One issue I see is the filters are not going
to last long and they aren't cheap.

A company I was a partner in years ago moved to a larger office
complex that had been occupied by a preprint processing company. They
burned plates for printing presses and did other processes that
generated big odors. To keep the odor out of the office area, they set
up the air conditioning system to maintain a greater pressure in the
office relative to the processing area.

They also had the vent fans in the two restrooms reversed, but they
didn't have enough power to completely overcome the positive office
air pressure. So, when smells were created the positive pressure
eventually sent them outside.

I visited the facility several times while the printing shop was still
in operation and I can assure you the positive pressure set up really
worked.

When my company took over, we didn't need the positive pressure
feature and had the whole building air conditioning set up normally.
After a few months, I noticed people began to complain about odors
coming from the rest rooms. Took me quite a while to realize what the
problem was, but I never let on I knew. The vent fans were never set
back to normal operation.

So, watch out for hidden vent fans, what ever you decide on. They may
destroy the positive pressure you are trying to create.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd filter and bring in outside air - not from the dusty shop.
You will need to have some volume available - or man trap doors -
that have chambers that are cleaned. Open a door and the air
must be rushing out. double doors with chamber between is best.
The floor can suck dust and blowing jets along the way clean the body.

There are professional passthroughs that are used in semiconductor
fab lines - bringing in street traffic through several levels of
cleaning - and scrubbing - before you get to the dressing rooms.
You need on of the outer layers - not the micron stuff - but get that
as well. It is the sub-micron stuff that fab lines are made to.

One famous fab line in Japan - one famous to vendors - one had to be able
to swim - one stripped down in a chamber - then swim under water and
surface on a clean side. Put on clean side clothes and off you go to
have a meeting. Extreme!!

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 10/5/2010 3:05 PM, Buerste wrote:
I want to pump filtered air from the plant into the office and create
positive pressure to keep the dust level down. A few days after a thorough
scrubbing, there is a coating of fine dust on everything. We still do a lot
of woodwork shaping, drilling and sanding in the plant and the dust gets
everywhere. It's a small percentage of what it used to be since we
installed individual collectors on every machine and scrapped the central
bag house 40 hp blower. The office is about 1,200 square feet x 10'.

One thought I had was to buy a small furnace, remove the heating part and
duct-in air from the "clean" half of the plant by the office and run it
through a high efficiency filter and pump it into the office 24/7. Are
there off-shelf alternatives? One issue I see is the filters are not going
to last long and they aren't cheap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in message
On Oct 5, 1:05 pm, "Buerste" wrote:
[...]

Damn good catch! There are four, not counting the bathroom. I would have
forgotten all about them.