Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default WPA, CCC and reducing unemployment was Don't Bring A Knife To A Gunfight

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Don Foreman on Sun, 10 Oct 2010
01:34:17 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

amazing - I almost entirely agree - govt assistance prevents exiting
poverty, if I understand the statistics and analysis - in fact as you start
earning $ and benefits decline, there is a point where the effective "tax"
rate is well over 100%, at least there used to be. On the other hand, in
the previous great depression, there was the WPA, which did good things.

Not on the other hand at all. It did indeed, as did the CCC. Both
programs required recipients to show up and do a day's work every day.
It was temporary aid for those who couldn't find jobs but were able
and willing to work and earn their keep.

Side effect of the CCC was that it was administered by the US
Army. Intentionally or not, when WW2 came round and the Army
expanded, a lot of the CCC alumni were tapped for leadership slots,
NCOs and the like. They already had the experience of working in
groups.

You can still see some of the results of this work in national parks.
Good work, done by craftsmen and laborers who were glad to have work
and be earning a living with their skills and labor. They were
employed by the gummint but they weren't on the dole.

Yup but today if the CCC or WPA was reinacted, the unions would be dead set against it
unless they got greased.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Don't Bring A Knife To A Gunfight

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 12:16:49 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:27:03 -0400, John Husvar wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

Intewesting. Would you at least allow them a razor blade?

No. Make them make their own in the prison's metal shop! ;-)

Can't do that - they're in solitary, no human contact or productive
activities allowed.

Backonmysoapbox
Coventry, and Outlawry.

One who refuses to obey the law should also forfeit its protection. Let
him be removed from the society to a place apart where he may make his way
as best he can, having no responsibility to his former society and no
protection of his rights by his new one.
/Backonmysoapbox

Isn't that kind of where Australia came from? "Devil's Island?"

Thanks,
Rich

Not at least in the early days. Read "The Fatal Shore" for a well
researched account of the earliest convict days.

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Yup but today if the CCC or WPA was reinacted, the unions would be dead set against it
unless they got greased.

OTOH we should let their bearings sieze! ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

I've often wondered where that gangsta style came from. The right way
to hold a pistol one-handed, when pointing rather than aiming with
sights, is whatever's natural. For me, that's a cant of about 30
degrees from vertical. That may vary some from person to person
based on musculature and other variables.

I suspect that came from the same thought process that has them wearing their hat at crazy
angles.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Don Foreman wrote:

I've often wondered where that gangsta style came from. The right way
to hold a pistol one-handed, when pointing rather than aiming with
sights, is whatever's natural. For me, that's a cant of about 30
degrees from vertical. That may vary some from person to person
based on musculature and other variables.

I suspect that came from the same thought process that has them wearing
their hat at crazy
angles.

Wes

I, personally, think it is from their difficulties in establishing vertical
and horizontal with all the inner ear changes of horizons.

Steve