Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hard Chrome Application

From experience, I'm relatively sure hard chrome plating can be applied to
mild or heat treated steel.

Are there any limitations know to the folks out there in RCM-land?

Also, is it a carbon steel-only application for the most part? I'd guess
you can't hard chrome plate a marshmallow, but what about non-ferrous
metals, plastics, etc?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" fired this volley in
:

Also, is it a carbon steel-only application for the most part? I'd
guess you can't hard chrome plate a marshmallow, but what about
non-ferrous metals, plastics, etc?

Joe, you can pretty much hard chrome anything, what with all the electro-
less plating options available for a base layer.

But regardless of how hard it is, the chrome will be subject to easy
damage if the substrate it's on isn't solid.

So, yes; you could hard chrome a marshmallow, but it would crack like an
eggshell under any impact.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
From experience, I'm relatively sure hard chrome plating can be applied to
mild or heat treated steel.

Are there any limitations know to the folks out there in RCM-land?

Also, is it a carbon steel-only application for the most part? I'd guess
you can't hard chrome plate a marshmallow, but what about non-ferrous
metals, plastics, etc?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Depending on your application there are several processes that are
currently being used to replace hard chrome. I am not that familiar
with them other than the information that is sent me over the internet
and by mail. Armoloy is one system of hard finishing, the other is a
type of spray welding that will deposit any surface hardness you want. I
have a customer that spray welds large valve seats for wear and
corrosion resistance. What type of application are you looking to do?

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:11:05 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Joe AutoDrill" fired this volley in

Also, is it a carbon steel-only application for the most part? I'd
guess you can't hard chrome plate a marshmallow, but what about
non-ferrous metals, plastics, etc?

Joe, you can pretty much hard chrome anything, what with all the electro-
less plating options available for a base layer.

But regardless of how hard it is, the chrome will be subject to easy
damage if the substrate it's on isn't solid.

So, yes; you could hard chrome a marshmallow, but it would crack like an
eggshell under any impact.

So, who wants to volunteer to do _this_ demo? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What type of application are you looking to do?

John,

No particular new application. Just trying to learn more about the process.

....Although I would like to see the marshmallow done.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From experience, I'm relatively sure hard chrome plating can be applied to

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
VIDEOS:http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill
TWITTER:http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK:http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

One problem with electroplating is that you get hydrogen embrittlement
unless the parts are post-processed by heat-treating. Unless the
plating is done just right, you can get blistering and peeling later,
a good plater with a decent lab is in order. Folks frequently try to
use it in place of proper material selection, hard chrome is just not
the same as hard facing or proper alloy selection. The plating layer
may be hard, but it's only as solid as the substrate. What it's good
for is building up mildly worn machine parts to be finished by
grinding to size, there was quite a business plating worn radial
engine cylinders at one time. What with EPA regs and the heavy metals
and corrosive chemicals involved, there's a lot fewer platers around
than there once was. Electroless nickel sticks better and has about
the same appearance, which is what a lot of folks are looking for with
the hard chrome. Hard chrome used to be used a lot on custom pistols,
electroless nickel has kind of taken that niche over, it's not quite
as fussy to apply, doesn't build up on the corners like electroplating
and can be done without a whole lot of fume hoods and such. Still
involves toxic chemicals, though. No post-treatment for getting rid
of the hydrogen, either. There are a number of plating and coatings
handbooks out there, should you want to look into it further.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carbon plate something (dust) and then electro-plate on top and the carbon
drops out or goes into solution as the copper is plated. Then Chrome for
red chrome.

But the quality look is nickle plate, copper plate, then the chrome layer.
Nickle by itself makes a blue chrome. Moody pistol color.

The reflection through atomic layers... Really.

The copper kills off he blue from the Nickle making it warmer looking
chrome when it is applied.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 10/5/2010 7:20 AM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
What type of application are you looking to do?

John,

No particular new application. Just trying to learn more about the process.

...Although I would like to see the marshmallow done.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/04/2010 09:33 AM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
From experience, I'm relatively sure hard chrome plating can be applied to
mild or heat treated steel.

Are there any limitations know to the folks out there in RCM-land?

Also, is it a carbon steel-only application for the most part? I'd guess
you can't hard chrome plate a marshmallow, but what about non-ferrous
metals, plastics, etc?

One of the popular model airplane engine piston/sleeve setups is a
hyper-eutectic aluminum piston running in a hard chromed aluminum or
brass cylinder sleeve. The cylinder expands more than the piston when
hot, which tends to keep the engine safe if you accidentally overheat
the thing, while the chrome is durable and slicker than snot.

So there's two non-ferrous metals that I know of it being used on.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services