Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Using the Web, Social Sites, etc.

I know a few of us here are exploring the use of social web sites such as
Facebook, Twitter and a few others for business purposes. The "experts" out
there are saying it's the future for even the industrialized sectors. I'm
not sure I see it for some business lines, but rather than getting stuck
entering the game late, I'm jumping in.

I'm curious if anyone here is on WorkKingdom (www.WorkKingdom.com)?

Seems to be active, but in my industry (or at least the areas where I
looked), it seems to be slow or not very active.

So far, I think I like the site. It has a Facebook feel with a bit more of
a business twist to it. Aside from the initial thoughts I have about the
site, I was setting up a great profile today until I went and modified my
e-mail address. Now I can't get back in to the site. Seems they are not as
fast as Facebook and Twitter when asking for e-mail confirmations.

Anyhow, I was looking to network here a bit and try to pick up some tips,
etc. for WorkKingdom if anyone was active there.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09/27/2010 10:56 AM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

Well, an ex is a has-been and a spurt is a drip under pressure. Take it
from there.

I think there's leads to be had from proper use of the internet -- most
of my business comes to me because of articles that I've sold to
magazines and from posts that I make on USENET groups that have to do
with my professional work.

Frankly, though, those guys think like marketing guys, and they want
what appeals to marketing guys -- superficial glam and glitter. If you
sell to technical people who have any kind of experience, they've been
glammed and glittered to death, and they're looking for something that
works today, will work next week, and will work next year, too. You may
need a bit of the flash and splash to help your target customer to get
his boss to sign for the machine, but if you come on too strong then
your guy is going to decide that you're all hot air, and will take his
boss's money somewhere else.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I find these sites to be of next to zero value in promoting my website
algebra.com. Twitter especially is a wasteland of spammer bots, following
and unfollowing people automatically to get visits.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

I know a few of us here are exploring the use of social web sites such as
Facebook, Twitter and a few others for business purposes. The "experts" out
there are saying it's the future for even the industrialized sectors. I'm
not sure I see it for some business lines, but rather than getting stuck
entering the game late, I'm jumping in.

Well, I'm darned if I know for your target market, but I see "social
networking" sites as utterly irrelevant to any real business selling a
product (rather than celebrity for the sake of celebrity crap, which
that social networking crap is just made to promote).

OTOH, I see a regular website that's accurate, straightforward,
up-to-date and from which inquiries are responded to (in the preferred
manner of the inquirer) as extremely relevant - but uncommon as heck. If
a customer wants to be contacted by email, don't call. If they want to
be called, don't email. Simple stuff, got wrong all the time. I just
love the sales call form the idiot who obviously didn't even read the
detailed information I put in the email where I requested an email
contact. I also love the call two weeks after I sent in a email about
the email they just got (and probably still didn't read.)

If you sell direct, post list prices. Make it possible to order from the
web site. Provide stock information, etc.

If you sell though distribution, say so (gawsh, I just love wasting time
and effort talking to people who won't actually sell me their
product...) and provide up-to-date _working_ links to your distributors
- and encourage them to post list prices. If you want to quote better
prices for an RFQ, that's fine, but it's fricking annoying to have to
submit a bunch of RFQs to even figure out what darn ballpark different
options are in...

Having just gone though a large round of RFQs for a work project, guess
who has the best RFQ prices for product so far - yup, the place which
also has list prices posted.

MHO, WWYPFI. Guess where you won't find me....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-27, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

[...]

the assholes do not post prices so that they could "negotiate".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, I'm darned if I know for your target market, but I see "social
networking" sites as utterly irrelevant to any real business selling a
product (rather than celebrity for the sake of celebrity crap, which
that social networking crap is just made to promote).

Just as a side note, I'd say 80% of my sales come from direct web site
searches on Google and the like.

18% of the remaining folks come from return sales as most of my customers
are one time buyers.

The remaining 2% are now coming from alternate sources such as Facebook and
others I won't reveal so that I keep my edge on the market should the
percentage change drastically.

I will say that our advertising is 100% web based - whether it is a site or
the "other" sources... I don't touch magazines or trade shows any longer
and wouldn't consider newsgroups a viable business source either - as much
as I love you guys.

I believe that any company who is not trying out the new sites is setting
themselves up for disaster in the future. Some day there will be a
replacement for Google... And if you're not on it, you are out of business
as quickly as the switch takes place if your business is like mine.

CLIP

If you sell direct, post list prices. Make it possible to order from the
web site. Provide stock information, etc.

If you sell though distribution, say so (gawsh, I just love wasting time
and effort talking to people who won't actually sell me their
product...) and provide up-to-date _working_ links to your distributors
- and encourage them to post list prices. If you want to quote better
prices for an RFQ, that's fine, but it's fricking annoying to have to
submit a bunch of RFQs to even figure out what darn ballpark different
options are in...

We are a bit different here too. I'll give you a quote (usually within an
hour) if you call me. I only have an exclusive distributor in one location
(Israel) so wherever you call from, you get the same price. Distributors
and OEMs get a bit of a discount that makes it worth it for them but mostly
because I don't have to waste time educating them on the subject and the
fact that most are established businesses with little risk of non-payment.

My quotes are always list and line item oriented with discounts shown at the
bottom. That way they can see the prices that their customer would have
gotten had they called me directly and they can also cross off anything they
want to provide on their own such as controls and other options...

If a customer calls me after I've identified their distributor contact or
OEM builder, etc. I will sweet talk them and get all the info I can, then
route the quote through the distributor or OEM to protect them. Once in a
blue moon I'll get a distributor or OEM who says, "Go ahead. Sell to them
direct. I don't care" or "Send me my comission when you're done."

That having been said, I believe it is important to explore Facebook,
Twitter and the rest of the alternate sites out there. I think press
releases are just about dead and the standard advertising methods are so
expensive that I could triple my exposure on the web for the price of an
1/8th page magazine or web site ad.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-27, Ecnerwal
wrote:
In article ,
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

[...]

Thank you, gentlemen! You saved me typing my own rant. I am with you 100%.
BTW things are worse in Canada than in the USA. The shining exception is Lee
Valley. I wish they sold metalworking stuff!
KBC Tools have a OK site but I will not deal with them any more. Ask me
why...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I maybe way out of line , but they'd have to keep typing a long time
to catch the ones that get to me. Most are far from serious. It is
beyond me why you have to sign up and give out all kinds of info and
or have to write down all the lies just to see if that kind of thing
is what your looking for. Last one I tried to sign up for turned out
to be something I am not into at all, and what was weird was they
never gave me the code via email to post, guess they could tell from
my name I wasn't welcome.

I have never seen a FAQ that answered a question I was wanting.

It is beyond me why it is like pulling teeth to find out how much it
costs for the product. It is almost to the point of giving them a
credit card number to find out you don't want to pay that much.

Is it really that hard to sell a product or service that they have to
lead the customer so deep that they may fell obligated to buy cause
the sales baby wasted so much time? Beside the economic climate now.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:18:34 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

18% of the remaining folks come from return sales as most of my customers
are one time buyers.

Which reminds me..I saw one of your units last week at Capstan
Industries, in Carson California.

Nice!!

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

[...]

If the site won't tell me the price up front then I look for another.
Has to be sole source or all sites selling it have to be equally bad
before I'll jump through hoops to order the product.

Salesmanship 101--when you have a customer who's eager to buy your
product, say "Thank you" and take his money.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Which reminds me..I saw one of your units last week at Capstan
Industries, in Carson California.

Nice!!

Cool. I had to look it up, but Capstan has a small three spindle adjustable
on a Bridgeport. Quite a neat little package.

....And for those whining about online pricing not being available, the list
is $1620 and includes from adapter to collets in most cases.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Change of Direction - Pricing on the Web

If the site won't tell me the price up front then I look for another.
Has to be sole source or all sites selling it have to be equally bad
before I'll jump through hoops to order the product.

I read the other posts on this subject with interest. ...This one sums up
the thoughts of most of the posts so I'll respond to it with thoughts and a
question or two.

....In a line of business like I have, the cost of the equipment is generated
by the needs of the customer in many cases. In other words, a guy drilling
1/4" holes in wood will buy the same exact machine to drill 1/2" holes in
Stainless Steel but will have a different motor set-up and chuck, etc.

Because of those variables, pricing is not something that can be put on the
web easily without it taking up more room than the web content itself.
....And it would be quite confusing in my opinion.

We do have products with list prices such as the adjustable multiple spindle
head units, but even those can vary a little bit if they are going onto a
CNC quill rather than a drill press, etc. ...But not always.

So then, does a company like mine loose business because we don't list our
prices or do people understand that the least expensive machine I typically
sell is over $1000 so we actually expect the customer to think about and put
some work into the decision process a bit? I'm not sure. But we generally
get a quote out to the customer within an hour if not verbally on the phone.

We do our best, but will never be able to list prices on a web site like the
guys who sell small tools, etc.

Advice? Thoughts? Rants? Various unpleasable person requests? grin

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

If the site won't tell me the price up front then I look for another.
Has to be sole source or all sites selling it have to be equally bad
before I'll jump through hoops to order the product.

I read the other posts on this subject with interest. ...This one sums up
the thoughts of most of the posts so I'll respond to it with thoughts and a
question or two.

...In a line of business like I have, the cost of the equipment is generated
by the needs of the customer in many cases. In other words, a guy drilling
1/4" holes in wood will buy the same exact machine to drill 1/2" holes in
Stainless Steel but will have a different motor set-up and chuck, etc.

Because of those variables, pricing is not something that can be put on the
web easily without it taking up more room than the web content itself.
...And it would be quite confusing in my opinion.

You do custom or semicustom work--that's a whole different situation.
What I'm talking about is outfits that have a standard packaged product
but make you jump through hoops to buy it.

[...]

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
http://www.AutoDrill.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I heard that www.bing.com is what keeps the google big wigs awake at
night. As well it should since bing is faster and doesn't dump all of
the tracker cookies on your puter that google does. I quit using
google about six months agao and haven't looked back.

Bing is #2. I won't go into the details, but let's just say they are not
even close to Google yet when it comes to usefullness IMHO.

I've got hard evidence but revealing it would potentially give my
competitors the ability to "catch up" by emulating my methods.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think I may have misunderstood what you were talking about -- was your
original post about _posting_ on twitter et all vs. doing a web site
that'll come up on searches, or was your original post about _advertising_
on various sites?

All of the above.

I suppose I emant any and all content on various sites. For instance, a
page on Facebook is free. CPC advertising is not but I'm doing both.

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-28, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I think I may have misunderstood what you were talking about -- was your
original post about _posting_ on twitter et all vs. doing a web site
that'll come up on searches, or was your original post about _advertising_
on various sites?

All of the above.

I suppose I emant any and all content on various sites. For instance, a
page on Facebook is free. CPC advertising is not but I'm doing both.

I am not advertising anywhere, getting 28,000-30,000 visits from google per
day. (less on Friday and Saturday)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 08:18:51 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

Which reminds me..I saw one of your units last week at Capstan
Industries, in Carson California.

Nice!!

Cool. I had to look it up, but Capstan has a small three spindle adjustable
on a Bridgeport. Quite a neat little package.

Ayup. Interesting and much smaller than Id mentally pictured. They
seemed quite happy with it. I was passing by the mill and the bright
colors caught my attention...G

...And for those whining about online pricing not being available, the list
is $1620 and includes from adapter to collets in most cases.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ayup. Interesting and much smaller than Id mentally pictured. They
seemed quite happy with it. I was passing by the mill and the bright
colors caught my attention...G

I keep arguing with the folks here that we should go to Fire Engine red...
So thanks for the additional ammo for my next discussion.

It's one of the smallest adjustables BTW. Out of 20 different adjustable
models, only 3 or maybe 4 are smaller.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-04, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Ayup. Interesting and much smaller than Id mentally pictured. They
seemed quite happy with it. I was passing by the mill and the bright
colors caught my attention...G

I keep arguing with the folks here that we should go to Fire Engine red...
So thanks for the additional ammo for my next discussion.

It's one of the smallest adjustables BTW. Out of 20 different adjustable
models, only 3 or maybe 4 are smaller.

Joe, what are the search terms for which you are trying to rank?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe, what are the search terms for which you are trying to rank?

That's a tough question. A while back, I asked here what search terms people
would use to find equipment like mine and we compiled a list of words and
terms that is approximately 4 pages long.

We do quite well on Google and the other main search engines. The focus of
my question here was actually whether the pseudo-social sites like Facebook
or twitter were serving anyone well and all the associated mumbo jumbo that
comes along with a "yes" answer to that question.

To directly answer your question as best as I can, mostly, we try to do well
with things like "production drlling" or "multiple spindle head", etc. I
wouldn't say those provide the lion's share of the contacts to us, but they
are probably the closest terms to a base or core that we could ID. Nothing
super fancy.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe, what are the search terms for which you are trying to rank?

I should also say that I am trying to dominate with teh word Shamplaza...
But that's a trivia question more than an answer.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-04, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Joe, what are the search terms for which you are trying to rank?

That's a tough question. A while back, I asked here what search terms people
would use to find equipment like mine and we compiled a list of words and
terms that is approximately 4 pages long.

We do quite well on Google and the other main search engines. The focus of
my question here was actually whether the pseudo-social sites like Facebook
or twitter were serving anyone well and all the associated mumbo jumbo that
comes along with a "yes" answer to that question.

To directly answer your question as best as I can, mostly, we try to do well
with things like "production drlling" or "multiple spindle head", etc. I
wouldn't say those provide the lion's share of the contacts to us, but they
are probably the closest terms to a base or core that we could ID. Nothing
super fancy.

Joe, great SEO job. I am into SEO myself. I looked for production
drilling, multiple drilling, automatic drilling and your site was in
top 3 or outright on top.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe, great SEO job. I am into SEO myself. I looked for production
drilling, multiple drilling, automatic drilling and your site was in
top 3 or outright on top.

Thank you. Not that it matters much but you got me curious and here is where
we stand on those exact terms:

Production drilling we are 2, 4, and 8.

Multiple drilling we are at the top as a paid AdWords link and spots 1, 3
and 5. Plus, we are both YouTube links shown.

Automatic drilling we are the 4th "sponsored link" (AdWords) on the right
plus spots 1, 4, and 6.

We take the web pretty seriously but can always do better!

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Whitehouse spying on social networking sites Janet_of_all_trades Metalworking 53 September 19th 09 02:25 AM
Whitehouse spying on social networking sites SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 1 September 17th 09 02:29 PM
social netw [email protected] UK diy 1 March 10th 08 10:52 PM
Woodworking Video Social [email protected] Woodworking 0 May 31st 06 11:18 PM
OT - Social Security Larry Blanchard Woodworking 146 March 7th 04 03:25 PM