Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Source for small 4 jaw chucks?

I have a pre-WWII metal lathe, made for Sears. Very small, AA series.
it had a 3" diameter 4 jaw chuck. The chuck mounted on the 1/2"-24 tpi
spindle. The chuck was maybe an inch and a half thick, and last year it
cracked through while tightening it.

Can anyone direct me to a good source for a replacement? I have found
some but they all seem to be 4 inches front to back, and weigh more than
the lathe I plan to mount them on.

Thank you.

Stuart
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 22, 10:10*pm, Stuart Wheaton wrote:
I have a pre-WWII metal lathe, made for Sears. *Very small, AA series.
it had a 3" diameter 4 jaw chuck. *The chuck mounted on the 1/2"-24 tpi
spindle. *The chuck was maybe an inch and a half thick, and last year it
cracked through while tightening it.

Can anyone direct me to a good source for a replacement? *I have found
some but they all seem to be 4 inches front to back, and weigh more than
the lathe I plan to mount them on.

Thank you.

Stuart

The Sherline 3" chuck on a 5C mount is almost exactly the same size as
the AA chuck.
http://www.sherline.com/5c.htm
I don't know about the copies mentioned. Mine are Craftsman and
Sherline originals.

The 5C shank is integral with the body so you'd have to cut it off,
then turn a recess for the back plate and drill for the front-mounting
screws.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stuart Wheaton" wrote in message
I have a pre-WWII metal lathe, made for Sears. Very small, AA series. it
had a 3" diameter 4 jaw chuck. The chuck mounted on the 1/2"-24 tpi
spindle. The chuck was maybe an inch and a half thick, and last year it
cracked through while tightening it.

Can anyone direct me to a good source for a replacement? I have found
some but they all seem to be 4 inches front to back, and weigh more than
the lathe I plan to mount them on.

Could one adapt a Taig chuck? They have a 3/4-16" mount. Could one machine
an adaptor with the inside 1/2"-24 and outside 3/4"-16?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-23, Michael Koblic wrote:

"Stuart Wheaton" wrote in message
I have a pre-WWII metal lathe, made for Sears. Very small, AA series. it
had a 3" diameter 4 jaw chuck. The chuck mounted on the 1/2"-24 tpi
spindle. The chuck was maybe an inch and a half thick, and last year it
cracked through while tightening it.

Can anyone direct me to a good source for a replacement? I have found
some but they all seem to be 4 inches front to back, and weigh more than
the lathe I plan to mount them on.

Could one adapt a Taig chuck? They have a 3/4-16" mount. Could one machine
an adaptor with the inside 1/2"-24 and outside 3/4"-16?

There were such adaptors in the chucks which I got with my
Atlas/Craftsman 6x18" lathe -- except from 1" to 1-1/2" IIRC. The
chucks with it appear to have been for the Atlas/Craftsman 10" lathe
instead -- and were a bit big for the relatively small lathe.

Both the Sherline and the Taig (or Peatol in the UK) use the
same spindle thread, so whichever you find most easily should work with
an adaptor. If all else fails, bore the chuck out and re-thread it to
allow it to use a meatier adaptor. 3/4-16 would have a minor diameter
of something like 5/8 which might be enough meat on a 1/2" shaft.

I took one of the Taig/Peatol 4-jaw chucks and adapted it to my
Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC lathe and it worked well -- but that did not
have a threaded spindle -- instead, it needed a precise 40mm diameter
bore about 4mm deep (IIRC) for registration and was held on by four
screws through the chuck body into the spindle face.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 22, 11:50*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
"Stuart Wheaton" wrote in message
Could one adapt a Taig chuck? They have a 3/4-16" mount. Could one machine
an adaptor with the inside 1/2"-24 and outside 3/4"-16?
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Someone used to sell a replacement spindle with the 3/4"-16 nose.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sherline has both a 4 jaw independant and a 4 jaw self-centering
You will need an adapter to go from 3/4-16 to 1/2-24
Real easy to make adapter
Or maybe they could thread them 1/2-24 for you as they are inhouse
made

http://www.sherline.com/4jawipg.htm
http://www.sherline.com/4jawspg.htm

They also have 3 jaw self-centering

http://www.sherline.com/3jawpg.htm

hope this helps
willy

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 22:10:42 -0400, Stuart Wheaton
wrote:

I have a pre-WWII metal lathe, made for Sears. Very small, AA series.
it had a 3" diameter 4 jaw chuck. The chuck mounted on the 1/2"-24 tpi
spindle. The chuck was maybe an inch and a half thick, and last year it
cracked through while tightening it.

Can anyone direct me to a good source for a replacement? I have found
some but they all seem to be 4 inches front to back, and weigh more than
the lathe I plan to mount them on.

Thank you.

Stuart

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 23, 6:37*am, fleetwood wrote:
Sherline has both a 4 jaw independant ...
http://www.sherline.com/4jawipg.htm

Chuck 1073 has a 1/2-20 thread, the same as the spindle on my AA
lathe.

I found out the hard way that the AA's spindle isn't strong enough to
turn steel. It was slightly bent when I bought it. I straightened it,
then bent it again when the bit jammed. Now it wears a 1/2" Jacobs
drill chuck with the 1/2-20 mount and I use it for grinding, polishing
and drilling small deep oil holes, as it spins much faster than my
South Bend. The drill chuck is safer if a file or finger brushes
against it.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/22/2010 9:10 PM, Stuart Wheaton wrote:
I have a pre-WWII metal lathe, made for Sears. Very small, AA series.
it had a 3" diameter 4 jaw chuck. The chuck mounted on the 1/2"-24 tpi
spindle. The chuck was maybe an inch and a half thick, and last year it
cracked through while tightening it.

Can anyone direct me to a good source for a replacement? I have found
some but they all seem to be 4 inches front to back, and weigh more than
the lathe I plan to mount them on.

Thank you.

Stuart

Stuart, have you looked at homeshopsupply.com? Bill Hardin offers a
replacement spindle made to accept the more common 618 chucks. He also
supplies a link to the machinist that makes them for him, and you can
buy directly. Price is the same, but Bill is in ill health and sometimes
hard to contact.

I actually have an AA 109-0701 lathe with a good 4-jaw.
The lathe is a basket case awaiting reassembly and probable sale. Not
sure I want to part with the chuck though, unless to trade for a 3-jaw?

Note that not all the 109s had the 1/2"-24 thread.

--
I can see November from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 22, 8:10*pm, Stuart Wheaton wrote:
I have a pre-WWII metal lathe, made for Sears. *Very small, AA series.
it had a 3" diameter 4 jaw chuck. *The chuck mounted on the 1/2"-24 tpi
spindle. *The chuck was maybe an inch and a half thick, and last year it
cracked through while tightening it.

Can anyone direct me to a good source for a replacement? *I have found
some but they all seem to be 4 inches front to back, and weigh more than
the lathe I plan to mount them on.

Thank you.

Stuart

Sears used to sell such in their tool catalog, probably long gone. If
you can thread a new backplate, Little Machine Shop will have stud-
mount chucks about that size for the 7x and I've seen some in the
various display ads in Home Shop Machinist. Your other alternatives
in that size would be Sherline and Taig. You'd probably still have to
make a backplate. There might be something that the various
woodworking suppliers would have for their wood lathes, chances are
they'd be a lot more than the metalworking suppliers would want.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 23, 10:23*am, RBnDFW wrote:
Stuart, have you looked at homeshopsupply.com? *...

Thanks, I lost that link.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-23, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Sep 22, 11:50*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
"Stuart Wheaton" wrote in message
Could one adapt a Taig chuck? They have a 3/4-16" mount. Could one machine
an adaptor with the inside 1/2"-24 and outside 3/4"-16?
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Someone used to sell a replacement spindle with the 3/4"-16 nose.

That might even make the spindle a bit more durable. I
understand that the AA (Craftsman 109) lathes were amazingly easy to bend
the spindle nose on.

Enjoy,
DoN.