Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Source for small 4 jaw chucks?

On Sep 22, 8:10*pm, Stuart Wheaton wrote:
I have a pre-WWII metal lathe, made for Sears. *Very small, AA series.
it had a 3" diameter 4 jaw chuck. *The chuck mounted on the 1/2"-24 tpi
spindle. *The chuck was maybe an inch and a half thick, and last year it
cracked through while tightening it.

Can anyone direct me to a good source for a replacement? *I have found
some but they all seem to be 4 inches front to back, and weigh more than
the lathe I plan to mount them on.

Thank you.

Stuart

Sears used to sell such in their tool catalog, probably long gone. If
you can thread a new backplate, Little Machine Shop will have stud-
mount chucks about that size for the 7x and I've seen some in the
various display ads in Home Shop Machinist. Your other alternatives
in that size would be Sherline and Taig. You'd probably still have to
make a backplate. There might be something that the various
woodworking suppliers would have for their wood lathes, chances are
they'd be a lot more than the metalworking suppliers would want.

Stan