Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dan "What's up, Lassie" is the winner!

The answer as to why the speed adjustment air motor performed so
slugglishly, is, as Dan suggested, that the outlet air muffler was
plugged up with crud. I took the muffler off and without it, the motor
adjusts really fast! The muffler was, surely enough, almost totally
blocked. It did not matter for brake, but did matter for the air
motor.

The muffler looks kind of cool and old style, so I will try to reuse
it.

I am cleaning this muffler in an ultrasound cleaner with Simple Green
and I think that it will work. This is not a sintered kind of muffler,
so I have some reason to hope that the cleaner will do it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus478 fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sun, 12 Sep 2010 22:42:33 -0500:

The answer as to why the speed adjustment air motor performed so
slugglishly, is, as Dan suggested, that the outlet air muffler was
plugged up with crud. I took the muffler off and without it, the motor
adjusts really fast! The muffler was, surely enough, almost totally
blocked. It did not matter for brake, but did matter for the air
motor.

i thought so. It can be fustrating, can't it? Motor works, valve
works, don't work together.

The muffler looks kind of cool and old style, so I will try to reuse
it.

I am cleaning this muffler in an ultrasound cleaner with Simple Green
and I think that it will work. This is not a sintered kind of muffler,
so I have some reason to hope that the cleaner will do it.

They can get clogged with dried oil and dust.
Should clean up OK.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-14, dan wrote:
What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus478 fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sun, 12 Sep 2010 22:42:33 -0500:

The answer as to why the speed adjustment air motor performed so
slugglishly, is, as Dan suggested, that the outlet air muffler was
plugged up with crud. I took the muffler off and without it, the motor
adjusts really fast! The muffler was, surely enough, almost totally
blocked. It did not matter for brake, but did matter for the air
motor.

i thought so. It can be fustrating, can't it? Motor works, valve
works, don't work together.

Yep. The things we take for granted.

The muffler looks kind of cool and old style, so I will try to reuse
it.

I am cleaning this muffler in an ultrasound cleaner with Simple Green
and I think that it will work. This is not a sintered kind of muffler,
so I have some reason to hope that the cleaner will do it.

They can get clogged with dried oil and dust.
Should clean up OK.

It did. 2 hours of ultrasound cleaning with simple green did it. Works perfectly now.