Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sweat Brazing?

Tim Wescott wrote:

On 09/12/2010 04:49 PM, dan wrote:
What's that Lassie? You say that Tim Wescott fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sun, 12 Sep 2010 15:16:24 -0700:

Needed to join two pieces of mild steel today, with minimal bead and as
strong or nearly so as the parent metal.

So I got each one hot, got a thin coating of brazing rod melted onto
each one, then slapped them together and heated the back of the
accessible piece.

Poof! Instant bond. What a joy brazing is.

Is this an accepted procedure? Are there any pitfalls that I should
know of? How likely is it that I've got a joint that's mostly flux?

Yes. It would be called tinning if it were soft solder.
If you have a good fitting joint, and you have enough brazing melted
on to fill the gap, you should have a very sound joint.

I figured that, but wanted to know.

(I just posted again, because I'm having trouble with my news reader, or
with my news service. Gotta check with my ISP -- although I'm afraid
that if I remind them they carry newsgroups they may cancel them entirely!)

Giganews has been real crap lately. I have to log back in very
couple messages.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

It was that way for a week or so.
But all is well now.
At least through Earthlink.

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

I'm using earthink and I've had to log in at least a dozen times
today. Are you on dial up, DSL or broadband?

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Broadband
Was on Verizon FIOS in Dallas (awesome speed) bit they don't come
this far out in the stick yet, so we are on cable.

What news server are you using?
News.east and news.west redirect to nntp.earthlink.net.

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

news.west.earthlink.net but all four or five NNTP server names are
redirected to the same authentication server, before connecting to
Giganews. I just had to log in, once again. It was much better before
they bought out Supernews.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You just HAD to screw it up again, didn't you!

(Notice I'm posting from aioe)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lamb wrote:

You just HAD to screw it up again, didn't you!

(Notice I'm posting from aioe)

I had to try four times to log in this morning.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
I'm using earthink and I've had to log in at least a dozen times
today. Are you on dial up, DSL or broadband?

I just had to re-do my login also. Wonder what is wrong?
That is the first time in years.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lewis Hartswick wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
I'm using earthink and I've had to log in at least a dozen times
today. Are you on dial up, DSL or broadband?

I just had to re-do my login also. Wonder what is wrong?
That is the first time in years.

Who knows? Corporate customers, like Earthlink users aren't allowed
to ask Giganews what is going on. Trying to reach anyone who knows
anything at Earthlink is fairly useless.

enough left over to pay them.

Sweat of the brow Millwright Ron[_2_] Metalworking 2 July 17th 08 08:57 PM
Best Brazing Flux & Metal Prep for Brazing GeoLane at PTD dot NET Metalworking 3 October 12th 07 10:27 PM
Sweat and blood John B Woodworking 3 July 5th 06 12:33 AM
Using sweat equity to buy a house Steve Home Ownership 0 August 10th 05 05:46 PM
sweat fitting? Evon Home Repair 26 March 2nd 05 04:44 PM