Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ebay auction: Rivett 1020S lathe

On 9/6/2010 2:26 PM, Dan Cassaro wrote:

Here's a link to the auction....

Very nice lathe! Sure wish that had a 5C spindle...
(not to mention being a few thousand miles closer)

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-07, Dan Cassaro wrote:
On Sep 6, 10:24?pm, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 9/6/2010 2:26 PM, Dan Cassaro wrote:

Here's a link to the auction....

Very nice lathe! Sure wish that had a 5C spindle...
(not to mention being a few thousand miles closer)

Jon

Well, it sold in the first few hours.... I guess the price was too
low.

That was a really great price for a very complete package. A great
deal!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-07, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 9/6/2010 2:26 PM, Dan Cassaro wrote:

Here's a link to the auction....

Very nice lathe! Sure wish that had a 5C spindle...
(not to mention being a few thousand miles closer)

Hmm ... based on this from the www.lathes.co.uk site referenced
in the auction:

"Collets could be fitted either directly into the headstock
spindle - in which case the maximum capacity was 11/8" "

it *does* take 5C collets directly in the spindle. (The 1-1/8" size is
the maximum grip of the 5C if *not* passing through the spindle, and 1"
maximum for through the spindle (limited by the drawbar size)).

I would *love* to have that lathe -- but I'm retired and don't
have that kind of money.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 19:49:41 -0700 (PDT), Dan Cassaro
wrote:

On Sep 6, 10:24*pm, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 9/6/2010 2:26 PM, Dan Cassaro wrote:

Here's a link to the auction....

Very nice lathe! Sure wish that had a 5C spindle...
(not to mention being a few thousand miles closer)

Jon

Well, it sold in the first few hours.... I guess the price was too
low.
Dan

The problem was you did a Buy it Now. I had notified 2 other guys about
it..and they RAN to their computers only to find out it had gone Buy It
Now.

Never ever do that on a desireable machine. Let the auction go full
term.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dan Cassaro wrote:
Well, it sold in the first few hours.... I guess the price was too
low.

And the buyer's thinking "Awww, geez ... maybe I should have just bid on
it - maybe I could have got it for less." G

You got what you asked - take the money & buy that CNC you want.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/6/2010 9:01 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

it *does* take 5C collets directly in the spindle. (The 1-1/8" size is
the maximum grip of the 5C if *not* passing through the spindle, and 1"
maximum for through the spindle (limited by the drawbar size)).

Hmm, maybe the thread and taper match, but... I saw one at Scott
Machinery in Sacramento years ago, it was listed as 5C, but I'd heard
the Rivetts took a different collet. Nobody was around the showroom, so
I wandered over to a cabinet full of collets, picked out a 5C, and
fitted it into the spindle. It did fit, but the face of the collet was
set back from the end of the spindle. Don't recall by how much, but I
thought it was a fairly significant amount.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-07, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 9/6/2010 9:01 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

it *does* take 5C collets directly in the spindle. (The 1-1/8" size is
the maximum grip of the 5C if *not* passing through the spindle, and 1"
maximum for through the spindle (limited by the drawbar size)).

Hmm, maybe the thread and taper match, but... I saw one at Scott
Machinery in Sacramento years ago, it was listed as 5C, but I'd heard
the Rivetts took a different collet. Nobody was around the showroom, so
I wandered over to a cabinet full of collets, picked out a 5C, and
fitted it into the spindle. It did fit, but the face of the collet was
set back from the end of the spindle. Don't recall by how much, but I
thought it was a fairly significant amount.

Yes -- later reading more carefully through the auction
description I saw the collet listed -- and yes, it was not a 5C, even
though it took the same range of workpieces. Certainly good enough if
it came with a full set of collets -- but if you needed a weird one, you
were probably SOL.

Enjoy,
DoN.